Lightning Damage
MJRil

Has anyone had lightning damage to equipment connected to their modem/router?  I would have thought the equipment was grounded and could not transmit a voltage surge from lightning but two items connected to the modem/router are not working now after yesterday's storm - the ethernet LEDS do not light up.  I took one apart and found a burnt track to the ethernet port.  I'm wondering if the FIOS equipment is installed with the correct grounding.

0 Likes
Re: Lightning Damage
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The grounding on the FiOS equipment should be correct, but if you're unsure you can get Verizon out to take a look at it. If your ONT is still working along with the router (somewhat) it's possible this was a surge that came in through the power lines or an outdoor run of Coax or from induction on something metal without a nearby ground if it was very close. The fiber cable doesn't carry electricity so nothing would have come in from elsewhere.

Are any other appliances attached to the FiOS connection via the router or via the Coax, including STBs and the ONT acting funny by any chance?

0 Likes
MJRil

I think I know what happened, the fiber cable outside the house includes a copper wire which was exposed.  Somehow the copper wire came out of its wire cover for a few inches right outside the house.  I think lightning got to it and then to the house coax shield and into the modem/router and finally into the voip hub and another hub which were damaged.   I would have thought the copper wire was earth grounded but I guess not.

I wrapped up the copper wire with electrical tape and put a grounding coax block in line so I don't think this should happen again. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

That could do it, considering the jacket of the cable does have metal (but isn't normally electrified). Lightning just have traveled a really weird path if it wasn't connected somehow to a another piece of metal. Either way, if you found the problem, then that's awesome!

0 Likes