Limiting Inbound Traffic
Raiders2012

I work from home and have a VOIP phone to use. However I constantly get random call that can not be traced by the phone vendor. The have suggested the following:

"It is most likely a direct connection attempt to port 5060 of your public facing router. Your IT personnel should examine any firewall rules in place. Limiting inbound traffic on port 5060 to only your PBX address of 38.126.196.64 may do the trick."

Is the Verizon router capable of this and if so how I get help to make this happen?

Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: Limiting Inbound Traffic
devnuller
Enthusiast - Level 2
0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@devnuller wrote:

http://bit.ly/17Q9TaG

The OP was not asking how to forward a port.  It appears he has already done that.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@Raiders2012 wrote:

"It is most likely a direct connection attempt to port 5060 of your public facing router. Your IT personnel should examine any firewall rules in place. Limiting inbound traffic on port 5060 to only your PBX address of 38.126.196.64 may do the trick."

Is the Verizon router capable of this and if so how I get help to make this happen?

Yes, you can do that.  What you want is advanced filtering.

• Click on the Firewall Settings icon
  • Select Advanced Filtering from the left menu
  • Under Input Rule Sets, click ADD across from Broadband Ethernet or Broadband Coax, depending on how your router is connected to the ONT.
  • In the Matching pulldown, select specify address.  Click Add.
  • The Edit Netowrk Object page appears.  Enter a meaningful name. ("Work PBX")
  • Click Add.  Edit Item page appears.  Enter the IP address that you want to allow to connect to your VOIP phone (38.126.xxx.xxx).  Apply.
  • You are returned to the Edit Network Object screen.  You should now see the IP address listed.  Click Apply.
  • Now the Add Advanced Filter page is displayed.  You will see "Work PBX" listed under Rule Name.  Select the Accept radio button. 
  • In the Destination Address field, select the LAN address of your VOIP phone (or click Specify Address and Add if it doesn't appear)
  • You should now be on the Advanced Filtering page again and see your new rule listed under your connection type.

If this doesn't eliminate bogus connection attempts to your VOIP phone, add a second rule (after the first) that drops all packets to your VOIP phone from any outside address.  I wasn't able to test this, so I could not confirm if the s3econd rule was needed. The rules are applied in order, so the first rule will take precedence.

0 Likes