Line protocol changed from PPPOE to DHCP with no warning
ashok_rao

Sent 2 hours trying to find out why the Internet was down to discover that Verizon has changed the WAN protocol from pppoe to DHCP with no warning.     Sure actiontec routers can reconfigure themselves. But most of us are using our own routers.  Not good Verizon

0 Likes
Re: Line protocol changed from PPPOE to DHCP with no warning
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

FYI, you're talking to customers here.

Verizon has provided zero support for non Verizon routers for quite some time.  They make no bones about it.  While they don't care if you use a non-Verizon router, you need to understand that they will not provide any information beyond what they provide to Verizon router customers.

I'm also a bit surprised you were still using PPOE.  Verizon phased that out a long time ago.  Maybe today was the day they finally shut down support for it.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to DHCP land 🙂

I'm surprised your router didn't try to auto detect the Connection settings. Many, notably Netgear will do that if the connection stays down for more than a few minutes.

0 Likes
ashok_rao

"you need to understand that they will not provide any information beyond what they provide to Verizon router customers" 

You need to understand that telco service providers should not treat customers (25 years with Verizon, 10 years with FiOS) like this. I work in this space and also develop wireless routers for specialized applications and whether or not they support non-Verizon (Actiontec) routers - they should at least send out an alert that they are turning off pppoe and switching to DHCP. I called technical support which was completely useless - the lady did not not understand what pppoe meant and all they could say is find your old router and put it back. 

After solving the problem  and then googling around to see if others also had this issue - I see similar complaints from IT savvy guys all over the place  - they shut down pppoe in Pennsylvania end of last year.   

Only reason for me  to post is that hopefully others who will be experiencing this problem will know what to do. 

0 Likes
ashok_rao

Yes - my TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND router can do that but I had configured it for pppoe because that's what I had on my FIOS  line for the last 10 years - I was one of the first customers in the DC area.    As per my previous response - all I was looking for was Verizon to send out a message to customers that they were shutting it down. Nothing more. 

0 Likes