Re: Linking 2 routers wirelessly
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

To put a router in either of these modes you may need to flash the secondary router with DD-WRT or Tomato.   I have alway used DD-WRT.   The hardest/riskiest part of the entire process is flashing the router with DD-WRT.

Is flashing the router a one-way option?

This is all too complicated for me. I had hoped that it would be a simple thing to do. I don't understand the network techno-babble that you are talking.

Thank you for your help. I'll have to scratch my idea.

0 Likes
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

If you aren't comfortable flashing a router with firmware then you could always purchase a router that has the built in option to make it into an wireless bridge.

Some ASUS routers have this option out of the box.   Select that option in the setup and follow the setup wizard and within a couple of minutes you will have a router converted to a wireless bridge.   The N66 have this option for sure but check the documentation for the newer  ASUS  AC capable routers as they may eliminated this option.

There are probably some other routers that have the same option.

Finally you can purchase a Linksys 54G router on e-Bay flashed with DD-WRT for $30.  54Gs have G only radios and limited processors and memory so you will be will be doing well if you get 20 Mbps throughput.

0 Likes
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

Didn't someone state in a previous post the making the router into a bridge cuts the speed in half?

To be honest, I really don't want to spend any money. I don't want to buy a router that has the capability that you are referring to. I don't understand network technobabble. I upgraded to a new router & I still have the old router. I was hoping for a simple solution. I wouldn't know what to look for on the box.

FranG
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same situation. A Verizon extender ($99), looks just like the old router. I tried following how-to advice to conect the old and new. Managed to completely knock out my PC's internet connection.  So I guess it's off to Staples to hand over the old one for recycling.  LOL

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes