Linking to files stored on Verizon
CR1608

The are many message boards that allow you include pictures in your posts by inserting the URL to where the file is located.

I have searched all over Verizon's websites and can't find out how to do it.

At Comcast, there was a utility to upload and store files.  Once uploaded, you could link to it (it was something like http://comcast.net/users/myusername/myfolder/picturename.jpg)

Can someone tell me how to do this or point to wherever Verizon has instruction?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Linking to files stored on Verizon
Justin46
Legend

@CR1608 wrote:

The are many message boards that allow you include pictures in your posts by inserting the URL to where the file is located.

I have searched all over Verizon's websites and can't find out how to do it.

At Comcast, there was a utility to upload and store files.  Once uploaded, you could link to it (it was something like http://comcast.net/users/myusername/myfolder/picturename.jpg)

Can someone tell me how to do this or point to wherever Verizon has instruction?

Thanks

There are at least two ways to include pictures in a post. Here is what I see when I am ready to make a post:

1) Save the picture to some non-Verizon site and then link to it. Use the Insert/edit link icon pointed to by the left-most arrow.

2) Insert the picture directly. Use the Insert/edit image icon pointed to by the right-most arrow.

3) There is also an Attachment option below the post window. I know that you can use PDFs, Word or Excel documents, etc. as attachments, you might be able to use that for pictures also, I haven't tried that.

Do you see not those icons? The reason I ask, I am not sure of Verizon's current restrictions for new users (if any). I think that, as a new member, you may not be allowed to post any pictures at all. Once you have been here for a while then you will be allowed to post pictures using #2, but they must first be approved by a Moderator; you upload the picture, but then only you can see it until it has been approved.

I'm sorry, not sure this will help, I have been here so long that I am allowed to post pictures so I can't really test as if I was a new user. But very definitely pictures and other graphics can be posted here, it just may depend on how long you have been here, how much you have participated. Hopefully someone else will know the specifics.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
CR1608

Sorry, but I should have been clearer.

What I am trying to do is 1) upload a jpg file that will be stored on Verizon, 2) link this picture to one of my posts on a NON-Verizon message board.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@CR1608 wrote:

Sorry, but I should have been clearer.

What I am trying to do is 1) upload a jpg file that will be stored on Verizon, 2) link this picture to one of my posts on a NON-Verizon message board.

Yes you should have...... Smiley Very Happy Sorry but I clearly did not understand what you wanted to do.
I have just done what (I think) you want to do. However, I don't know for sure you can do it, as I may have some extra privileges, I don't know. But here is the procedure I used:

1) Log into the Forums
2) Click on your user name to go to your profile.
3) Near the lower left part of the page you should find an area for "Images for username" and below that a link to "View images for username".
4) Click that link, then click on the Add Images button that appears, and add your image(s) to the site.
5) Once you have uploaded your image(s), click on the specific thumbnail image you wish to link to so you see it full size.
6) Right click on the full size image and select on Copy Image Location.
7) Now go to the site you want to link from and paste the link into your page, and set it as a link.
😎 Test.
I successfully did the above, I think I got the steps right. I hope it will work for you. Let me know if you have problems.
Keller, TX 76248
0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

I think this post by forum user peteh might actually be what you are looking for. After Verizon discontinued FTP access it became somewhat of a pain, but it is still possible through the free Personal Web Space that comes with your Verizon account.

Reposting the steps here for your convenience:

Start by logging into the Verizon website.

On the top toolbar goto My Services then Internet then Personal Web Space

On the right, under Welcome Back, click Edit My Web Site

Bottom right toolbar, click Picture Gallery

Click upload pictures. Browse to it and upload it. What you then have is a picture that should be viewable online at the following link: http://mysite.verizon.net/<your “vz” account name>/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/<filename>.jpg

Hopefully this answers your question!

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@somegirl wrote:

I think this post by forum user @peteh might actually be what you are looking for. After Verizon discontinued FTP access it became somewhat of a pain, but it is still possible through the free Personal Web Space that comes with your Verizon account.

Reposting the steps here for your convenience:

Start by logging into the Verizon website.

On the top toolbar goto My Services then Internet then Personal Web Space

On the right, under Welcome Back, click Edit My Web Site

Bottom right toolbar, click Picture Gallery

Click upload pictures. Browse to it and upload it. What you then have is a picture that should be viewable online at the following link: http://mysite.verizon.net/<your “vz” account name>/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/<filename>.jpg

Hopefully this answers your question!

+1

To be honest though, you're better off making an account at a site such as imgur.com and uploading your images to there. More space and better quality pictures as a result, and it's ISP independant.

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@Smith6612 wrote:

+1

To be honest though, you're better off making an account at a site such as imgur.com and uploading your images to there. More space and better quality pictures as a result, and it's ISP independant.

I'm inclined to agree with Smith on this one, actually. There are much more user-friendly ways to accomplish image hosting than Verizon's SiteBuilder, and many of them are free. Not losing your images if you switch ISPs is also a big plus.