List of Approved Cable Modems
eldoggo

Hi. I have an old Actiontec cable modem which Verixzon is now charging me a $3/month maintenance charge for. I'd like to upgrade it, but I'd like to purchase one rather than lease one from Verizon. Does anyone have the approved list of cable modems for FIOS with model numbers?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: List of Approved Cable Modems
jonjones1
Legend

@kecward78 wrote:

You can use any router you like, assuming the speed you pay for can be handled by the router.  It is the ability of the cable modem (with cable connection) that is called into question.  The cable modem is used for onscreen tvguide and on Demand features.  If the cable modem and STBs (set top boxes) don't communicate, those two features won't work.

Fios does not use cable modems. 

It’s ONT-Router-set top boxes to have tv.

cable modems are for CABLE not Fios 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@eldoggo wrote:

Hi. I have an old Actiontec cable modem which Verixzon is now charging me a $3/month maintenance charge for. I'd like to upgrade it, but I'd like to purchase one rather than lease one from Verizon. Does anyone have the approved list of cable modems for FIOS with model numbers?

https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/fiosinternet/networking/user+guides/user+guides...

The manuals for the verizon routers (not modems) are at the link above.

you can use any router with Fios if just having internet. You can use a customer owned router but it will have a different setup with tv and phone.

this link will tell you more with how to's. 

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios?

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you aren't using Verizon stb for tv , then you can use any router you want if you connect to ont via Ethernet.

If using stb, then either the rev I router or quantum router is what you want.

Scubadude1

Are you saying that one can just disconnect the Verizon Quantum router and  connect a third party router?  Or, does the third party router need to be connected to the Quantum?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are not using Verizon STBs (either don't have TV service or are using cable card device), you can use your own rotuer (Verizon doesn't use modems, just router).
You will need to contact support and ask them to move Internet from coax to ethernet.

You will need to run ethernet from ONT to location where your router is.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Scubadude wrote:

Are you saying that one can just disconnect the Verizon Quantum router and  connect a third party router?  Or, does the third party router need to be connected to the Quantum?

First you do this. Follow the instructions https://www.dslreports.com/faq/15898

then as it says immediately disconnect from power.

then hook the ethernet cable from the Quantum into the wan port of your router.

plug into power and let it boot up completely. After that you are good to go.

However as the other poster said if your not connected via ethernet you will need to have Verizon switch you over first. 

After that like I said you should be ok.

Now you also can just use your own router in access point mode, but there are no savings if you are paying $10 a month to Verizon. You return it you save $120 a year. After 2 years you paid off your own router and are saving each month.

0 Likes
Scubadude1

Thanks for the prompt reply.  Part of my problem is that I didn't know the various "boxes" that Verizon uses.  I looked for the ethernet ports and couldn't find them.  The only port that I saw was one with a green oblong connector.  Frustrated I searched convert FiOS coax to ethernet.  There I found a Verizon box that had connections unlike mine.  Looking at my coax cable, I saw it it was coming from outside.  I opened up the outside box and voila.  I should be able to run a ethernet cable to my new modem.  That said, first I'm going to try running my new router as an access point.

Again, thanks.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Scubadude wrote:

Thanks for the prompt reply.  Part of my problem is that I didn't know the various "boxes" that Verizon uses.  I looked for the ethernet ports and couldn't find them.  The only port that I saw was one with a green oblong connector.  Frustrated I searched convert FiOS coax to ethernet.  There I found a Verizon box that had connections unlike mine.  Looking at my coax cable, I saw it it was coming from outside.  I opened up the outside box and voila.  I should be able to run a ethernet cable to my new modem.  That said, first I'm going to try running my new router as an access point.

Again, thanks.

Hopefully you will be ok. I would for the future just call and have them install the ethernet so as not screw up the ONT. It may cost a few bucks but we’ll worth it when we change things over.

but try the AP mode it’s easy. But you may have to get switched over first.

0 Likes
kecward78

You can use any router you like, assuming the speed you pay for can be handled by the router.  It is the ability of the cable modem (with cable connection) that is called into question.  The cable modem is used for onscreen tvguide and on Demand features.  If the cable modem and STBs (set top boxes) don't communicate, those two features won't work.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@kecward78 wrote:

Fios does not use cable modems. 

It’s ONT-Router-set top boxes to have tv.

cable modems are for CABLE not Fios 

0 Likes