Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-Store & Curbside Pickup or same day delivery.

Local internet Only issue

Prncssofprz83
Contributor
Contributor

Local internet Only issue

Message 1 of 7
(1,267 Views)
I have a Compaq cq50. I cannot connect to my fios router. I can connect with phone,tablet,game systems but hot with laptop.please help!!! I am running Vista OS.
6 REPLIES 6
CRobGauth
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Local internet Only issue

Message 2 of 7
(1,263 Views)

Have you configured the SSID in your PC?

What security are you using?

Could be that Vista does not support the type of security you are running.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
Prncssofprz83
Contributor
Contributor

Message 3 of 7
(1,261 Views)

How do I configure the ssid? I don't know the security type.

CRobGauth
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 4 of 7
(1,240 Views)

Try this procedure on your phone or tablet (this is for Android. I would assume Apple would be similar)

Go under settings/wifi.

Click on the network you are connected to.
If security says WPA, then that is the issue. Windows Vista does not support WPA only WEP (older and less secure).

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
the_madscanner
Silver Contributor II
Silver Contributor II

Message 5 of 7
(1,227 Views)

that's not true, i am using vista and i connect wirelessly  with WPA2 security, using the built -in wireless network adaptor in this hp laptop.......it is possible that YOUR network adaptor isn't able to use the same settings as your other devices, but i don't think that it is simply due to running Vista......have you tried connecting with your laptop using an ethernet cable ?

Prncssofprz83
Contributor
Contributor

Message 6 of 7
(1,224 Views)
The mad scanner...yes I can connect using the Ethernet cable but once I disconnect, it shows "local only"
the_madscanner
Silver Contributor II
Silver Contributor II

Message 7 of 7
(1,208 Views)

can u tell me what u r seeing that says local only? is it in the "network and sharing center"? if i use the inhome agent network diagnostic tool from verizon i get stuck with local only too, have to turn off and on the router....so if u used that , maybe same thing happened to you.....i think the fact that u get the local only message means u r connected to your router.....if you type 192.168.1.1 into ur address bar does it take you to your router?

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title