Switch Account

Look out for a FIOS Router Virus!

Look out for a FIOS Router Virus!

SOLVED
MVP Smith6612 MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 13
(882 Views)

The Avira Rescue Disk is also handy too. It's dug out a few machines from malware before. It's only a bootable disk though, so I use it as a last resort in addition to a bootable Linux distribution to fix Windows when it blows up.

Contributor kripkee
Contributor
Message 12 of 13
(410 Views)

Around April 1, 2016 I began noticing strange behavior at certain web sites accessed from one of my PCs, including Google Maps and Google Play.  For example, Google Maps no longer had zoom controls.  I had the same troubles on all my browsers, but only on the one PC.  A Google search came up with the suggestion that my PC had a virus infection. However, my anti-virus software showed no infection.  

I finally located the problem.  All the network adapters on the affected PC had been altered so that the DNS Server had been changed from 192.168.1.1 to the following:

82.163.142.7 (Israel)

95.211.158.134 (Netherlands)

When  I changed the DNS servers back to the internet address of my router, most of the problems went away.

To make this change in Windows 10, go to Network and Sharing Center / Change Adapter Settings.  Right click a network adapter and select Properties.   Click on Internet Protocol Version 4 and select Properties.  Click Advanced and then select the DNS tab.   Remove the illegitimate DNS servers addresses and add the correct one for your system.  The correct setting may be the same as mine: 192.168.1.1.

Apparently some exploit, source unknown, had changed the settings on the network adapters on this PC so that internet traffic would be redirected through these illegitimate DNS servers.  At least some of the traffic was being redirected to malicious web sites.

Law enforcement should put 82.163.142.7 and 95.211.158.134 out of business.

Moderator Moderator
Message 13 of 13
(382 Views)

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.