Looking for suggestions on a VPN router and configuring it making it work
PA

I recently installed FIOS at my  home office. I am looking to set up a VPN network behind FIOS so that I  can access multiple computers through VPN. I am not an expert in networking, but have reasonable knowledge.

I am looking for the following suggestions.

- A VPN router/switch  that supports wired and wireless networks (g/n)

- Configuration details, setting it up and making it work.

I would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Looking for suggestions on a VPN router and configuring it making it work
Developer
Enthusiast - Level 3

The easiest way I've ever set up VPNs and probably the most reliable is to buy a cheap desktop and put Linux on it and set up one of their various VPN tools.  Otherwise, you can't go wrong with getting a Netgear ProSafe series router and purchasing a client.  Some of the top of the line routers come with five clients and I think the new Cisco VPN routers come with five clients already.  Install the client software on the computer that you would like to use to access the VPN and follow the instructions in the setup wizard and you're in business.

For more information about the linux route, check out www.distrowatch.com and do a search for Distros that allow for VPN connections.  I would probably recommend either OpenSuse or Fedora if you don't have a lot of experience with Linux as they are easier for Windows users to get used to.

0 Likes
Re: Looking for suggestions on a VPN router and configuring it making it work
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Also about configuring it, it will depend if you have FIOS TV or not.

I point to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

0 Likes