Loss of Signal
pjkiernan

3 weeks ago a Verizon tech changed the location of my actiontec router to my basement at my request.

For 2 weeks it was great, then on Sunday night I totally lost my wirless connection to my upstairs computer and still connect connect wirelessly.  Most of the time now I cannot even see the wireless signal.  When I do see it it shows 4 bars but won't connect.

When i move the computer to the basement I connect right away so its not a conenction problem...It seems to be signal strength..but why oh why....

Why all of the sudden would I have this drop of signal?  Everything worked fine for 2 weeks...

My laptop has a linksys  'n' express card so i should be good however....

Suggestions....

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Loss of Signal
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Did you have any other devices added to your home around that time that might interfere with the signal? Cordless phones are usually the culprit, but there are some other devices that can interfere.

0 Likes
pjkiernan

No, I didn't add anything new to my home, however I live in a townhome community so who knows if 1 of my neighbors did...

Usually all i need to do is change the channel of the router, I was on channel 11 and have switched it twice thus far to 10, then 9 and still same result..which is nothing...

0 Likes
ohpoleez
Contributor - Level 2

Try channel 1 or 6. Also set the mode to 802.11g only and see if that helps any.

0 Likes
pjkiernan

I will change the channel and setting and see if that works when I get home..Thanks

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Wireless LAN 802.11b/g should only be used on channel's 1,6,11

Wireless LAN signals work best top down, not down up.  Other devices that interfere with Wireless LAN signals are cordless telephones, blue tooth devices, microwaves.  Move the antenna around some and see if that helps.  Maybe point he antenna sideway vs. up/down.  Try open the basement door to see if that helps.  Generally not recommend to place a wireless router in the basement forcing the wireless signal up.

0 Likes
ohpoleez
Contributor - Level 2

@jumpin68ny wrote:

Wireless LAN 802.11b/g should only be used on channel's 1,6,11

Other devices that interfere with Wireless LAN signals are cordless telephones, blue tooth devices, microwaves.  

And don't forget baby monitors.  Smiley Happy

0 Likes
pjkiernan

I was told though to think of the signal as an umbrella, so better to be down than up..Or was this misinformation..

0 Likes