Lost ability to connect to XBOX Live
trigjoh
Enthusiast - Level 2

Config

XBOX 360 + Gold Live

FIOS Modem = MI424WR

Modem-XBOX connection via Panasonic HD-PLC

This config has worked for us for 18 months. Last Sunday morning (after playing online successfully the night before), my kids noticed that when they tried to connect to LIVE on any game the XBOX 360 would hang.  Sometimes when trying to download a game update, sometimes just trying to sign on to LIVE.

Microsoft support help has been useless

Today have spent time trawling forums on XBOX and VZ.  We've ...

Cleared system cache on XBOX 360

Reset MI424WR to factory defaults

Assigned an IP address to XBOX 360 to overcome moderate NAT

Setup port forwarding on MI424WR for TCP 80, UDP & TCP 88, UDP & TCP 3074, UDP & TCP 53 based on forum postings.

Same results.  I'm out of clues.  Here is the real strange behavior though

We can run the XBOX Live Network Connectivity test - successful

Try to signin when on a game (e.g. Halo 3). Get message that system is not connected to XBOX Live. When the dashboard returns (after 2 minute wait) the system shows us as signed in. If we try to navigate to any other function (friends, dashboard), the XBOX will hang.

Anyone provide any insight? As far as I know nothing was altered between the Sat night (everything fine) and Sun morning (above behavior) on either the XBOX or MI424WR config.

One other note: unrelated probably but thought I'd mention it in case a VZ employee passes by. I signed us up for the new CallerID service that is supposed to display inbound phone numbers on our TV.  That has not worked since we signed up the Friday before this XBOX weirdness started.  All other internet activity in the house is fine (laptops & Wii get on wirelessly no problem)

Thanks

FrustratedDad

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Lost ability to connect to XBOX Live
trigjoh
Enthusiast - Level 2

We've solved the problem!  Thru some more trial and error we narrowed the problem down to the ... hard drive of our Xbox 360. My son (who was desparate to get a solution) tried to start the 360 without the hard drive connected - the unit booted quickly, cleanly. Immediately connected to Live and signed him in and detected that an update was available and ready for download.

We purchased a couple of Xbox memory units and backed off key game and gamer information and then formatted the Xbox hard drive.  With this we then restarted the system and bang! ... system booted cleanly & immediately, connected to Live without hesitation and again prompted us for an update download. We ran the download which was completed in <10 seconds and ready to play a game.

So what happened? My suspicion is that one of the two boys on that fateful day when the system 'stopped working', actually killed an update in progress or received an error in the update process and took an abort option. End result was a partially updated system that didnt know if it was updated, needed to poll for an update or what.  It would of course have helped our cause if there were some clear diagnostics in the Xbox or some form of update audit log that could be reviewed.

But hopefully this is useful information to someone else.  If your system

1. Starts showing a lag in connectivity to Live

2. Hangs when trying to download an update

3. Runs fine when not connected to Live but not when connected to Live

Then you may have the same problem.  Recommend repeating the test my son did by detaching your hard drive and restarting Xbox and connecting to live to see what performance is like and if it can successfully detect the update.

Thanks all for your help and assistance. I certainly know a lot more now than when I started out about Xbox, Fios and NAT.

Cheers

JohnT

View solution in original post

cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

verizon offers a service where that inbound caller will show on your computer screen, but have they started offering 'on the TV' too?  

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Is UPnP turned on in the router?

#2 If so, do you have at least two game consoles behind this router?

0 Likes
trigjoh
Enthusiast - Level 2
THanks for the response Yes UPnP is turned on. We have the XBOX 360 (hardwired connection) & a Wii (wireless connection) on our network. The Wii is still working and connecting to the Internet fine.
0 Likes
trigjoh
Enthusiast - Level 2
It was turned on (apparently) in 3 states earlier this month, including MA. http://newscenter.verizon.com/press-releases/verizon/2009/verizon-launches-fios-tv.html. havent seen it work yet
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Let us try something.

#1 Turn off UPnP in the router.

#2 Forward to the Xbox.

#3 By following my directions, I might of broke something so that the Wii does not work.

So does the Wii still work or not, after doing this?

0 Likes
trigjoh
Enthusiast - Level 2
Sorry dslr595148 - can see where I can turn UPnP on/off on router (Advanced settings) but not where to 'forward to XBOX'. Separate dialog?
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@trigjoh wrote:
Sorry dslr595148 - can see where I can turn UPnP on/off on router (Advanced settings) but not where to 'forward to XBOX'. Separate dialog?

Points to

a) http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Actiontec/MI-424-WR/MI-424-WRindex.htm

b) OR, it may be (depending on what the screens of your looks like) http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Actiontec/MI-424-WRv2/MI-424-WRv2index.ht...

[EDIT] ]#2 Just wondering..

Which rev Actiontech MI424WR is it? This info should be on a sticker that is on the router.

The ones that I have heard about are: A, B, C, D, E. A, I believe may or may not tell which rev it is.

^^

0 Likes
trigjoh
Enthusiast - Level 2
I have a model D MI424WR. Firmware version 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.6 which seems to be the latest Setup the forwarding per the suggestions - no difference (incidentally it would be good if the author of the port forwarding test tool [if reading this] allowed you to ghost the IP address you are trying to test for instead of the machine you are doing the router config on). i've now reset the network settings on the xbox to automatic (I had set up static IP address for the XBOX but no joy). wondering if i did that right. Appreciate the assistance and guidance folks
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

D, Hmm.

I do not know what the problem is, but I have to wonder your issue is because the router has a small/tiny NAT table?

I point to:

#1http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16233

#2 And to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

^^

0 Likes