Low Bandwidth to my PS3-What Can I do
pdgauljr

I recently upgraded my fios connection to 35/35 and my laptop is working in that speed range.  I ran a an ethernet cable from my FIOS router to my PS3.  The run is about 40ft and the Cat5 cable tested clean.  However when testing my link speed on my PS3 I am getting 12/1.  What can I do?  Is there a setting in the router that I can configure?

I appreciate any help that can be provided.

0 Likes
Re: Low Bandwidth to my PS3-What Can I do
KlassiK
Enthusiast - Level 3

PS3 default speed test is absolutely horrible and will NEVER!!!!!!! give you correct speeds.

You can try a test off the web browser but I doubt it will change since it will jump up and down fast.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@pdgauljr wrote:

I recently upgraded my fios connection to 35/35 and my laptop is working in that speed range.  I ran a an ethernet cable from my FIOS router to my PS3.  The run is about 40ft and the Cat5 cable tested clean.  However when testing my link speed on my PS3 I am getting 12/1.  What can I do?  Is there a setting in the router that I can configure?

I appreciate any help that can be provided.

Although 12/1 is not anywhere near the speeds that your internet are capable of. It should still be more than adequate for a PS3. Gaming really doenst need much over 1Mbps down. Many people play the PS3 on DSL with speeds less than 1Mbps down and dont have any issues. So 12 is more than enough for gaming.

Now if your using it to stream videos like netflix, while more is better, 12 is still fine for that. You only need 3 Mbps down to stream a HD movie.

And most of the games and updates that you download to the PS3 are limited on the other side to 5Mbps. Most cannot send it to you any faster than that. Now it may affect some downloads, but even at 12 down, those downloads really are not going to take that long. At least most of them anyway.

So for all intents and purposes, 12/1, while not what your internet is capable of, should not affect your PS3 experience. At least as long as you are a typical PS3 user.

ver13

I have a 70 dollar internet plan,i think is 25/25 speed....Anyway on ps3 lucky to get 9/1. Called tech support,no idea and said contact sony. You say this is fine and yet its not. When you play war games online you are going to do worse than your opponent because basically got your info before you got theirs. Your dead before you get a chance to shoot. It seems other fios users after doing searches have changed dns numbers? Kinda strange to me because fios is static ip and not dynamic but it seems to work a little better. In your ps3 in internet settings under manual enter primary dns as 4221 or 8888 and secondary as 4222. Connection still slow on ps3 but improved. Tech support had no idea only its sony's issue not their's. Ironic its the people with fios that have these problems....but not their issue.How did others learn to do this if not by calling verizion? Just saying asked tech"E*****" to give me a tech tht does know but not verizion issue.If you want something you pay for to work right, configure it yourself (whole reason i upgrade to 70 dollar internet plan)) it didnt cure issue so dont repeat my mistake by paying more to get less.Just switch you isp,its not their issue!

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Wish I could understand what you're trying to get at in this post because it's not very clear to me.  What I could glean from it is inaccurate however.   Spacedebris' post is the correct one.

Verizon FiOS is not static IP.  It's dynamic.   Regardless of that, "changing IP" is not a solution to performance issues.   

If the PS/3 is wireless, you will not get a full bandwidth connection to the Internet.  Plain and simple, wireless is subject to numerous local environmental conditions including the use of wireless by those around you and will often deliver less than the rate network speed.   This has nothing to do with FiOS.  Wire the PS/3 directly to the router for best performance.  

The PS/3 network and many gaming sites are actually the bottleneck here.  Regardless of the local network speeds, the remote end and intervening networks need to be able support those speeds and in the case of the PS/3 downloads, etc. this is always substantially less than the local wire speed -- most likely due to the load at the remote end.    So the advice from Verizon about calling Sony is somewhat accurate -- since they are the ones who host the player servers.

As for game performance, this has little to do with the bandwidth as spacedebris pointed out.  A 25/25, 12/1, 9/, or even a DSL 1/0.5 connection has more than enough bandwidth for the amount of data sent by the game to communicate player information, etc.   What creates the issues is latency -- which has nothing to do with speed -- and if you take a look at what the PS/3 is communicating with, you'll see that frequently that latency is "in the cloud" beyond the Verizon networks on the internet.   This is the nature of the internet, plain and simple.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Lasagna hit it bang on. When it comes to gaming, bandwidth is generally not an issue. At least not on a broadband connection anyway. (meaning DSL or better). A typical DSL connection starts at ~1Mbs. No, when it comes to gaming, PING (latency) is the driving force. This is what determins how fast you get your info. And who ever has the smallest PING has the edge because they get the info first.

While there are a few exceptions, most of the data being transmitted between your Game system and the server, is in very small packet and takes very little bandwidth to deal with that. A 1Mbs DSL speed is almost always more than adequate. Now if you are hosting a game, that is another story. I'm a gamer myself. I play many high speed games. All of the Unreal Tournament versions, HALO, Most of the Battlefield Series, WOW, just to name a few. And I've played them all on both the FIOS and my brothers .7Mbps (thats not a typo, thats 0.7Mbs) DSL. Never have any issues with either. Unless the ping is bad that is. Smiley Wink