Low wifi speeds with rev I router
jdem73
Enthusiast - Level 2
I have the the rev I router and subscribe to the 75/35 speeds. When I use the wireless I receive between 12 and 15 down. This is also when I'm right next to the router. All my devices have 802.11n. I should be getting higher speeds. Does anybody have any suggestions.
0 Likes
Re: Low wifi speeds with rev I router
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Make sure you do NOT have the Rev. I Wi-Fi set up to use WEP encryption. If anything is using anything but WPA2-AES Security or No Security, your Wi-Fi speeds will be rate limited to Wireless G speeds, which max at 20Mbps. Also, make sure you try to adjust the channels the router is using, from where it is now to Channels 1, 6, or 11 preferably. In addition, there is usually an option in the router's Advanced Wireless settings to use 802.11n compatibility mode or performance mode. Set it up for Performance and that should also help a good amount.

The router can be accessed at http://192.168.1.1/ with the username of admin, and the default password being the router's serial number on the printed label beneath the router in most cases.

Justin46
Legend

@Smith6612 wrote:

Make sure you do NOT have the Rev. I Wi-Fi set up to use WEP encryption. If anything is using anything but WPA2-AES Security or No Security, your Wi-Fi speeds will be rate limited to Wireless G speeds, which max at 20Mbps. Also, make sure you try to adjust the channels the router is using, from where it is now to Channels 1, 6, or 11 preferably. In addition, there is usually an option in the router's Advanced Wireless settings to use 802.11n compatibility mode or performance mode. Set it up for Performance and that should also help a good amount.

The router can be accessed at http://192.168.1.1/ with the username of admin, and the default password being the router's serial number on the printed label beneath the router in most cases.

Smith,

The Rev. I comes with WPA2 activated and with a unique password that is on the label on the bottom of the router and is not the serial number.

The rest of your information is right on! When I first got my Rev. I, I set it for B/G/N compatibility, but wireless speed was way below what I thought it should be. When I eventually got it set for AES and N Performance, it improved dramaticaly. And yes, channels 1,6, or 11 are the only channels to use. I installed the free InSSIDer program to see what channels were in use in my neighborhood and found that 1 was the least used.

Keller, TX 76248

jdem73
Enthusiast - Level 2
Your information helped. I'm using he WPA2 security and changed the channel to 11. Do you think it is worth buying a dual band router from linksys or netgear to help with multiple devices and speed?
Justin46
Legend

@jdem73 wrote:
Your information helped. I'm using he WPA2 security and changed the channel to 11. Do you think it is worth buying a dual band router from linksys or netgear to help with multiple devices and speed?

Probably, if only because there are fewer users and more bandwidth available to you on the 5 GHz band, and it is capable of much higher speed anyway than the 2.4 GHz band.

But did you get InSSIDer and see what channel is the least congested? From my experience, choosing 1, 6, or 11 is always best, 11 may be best for you, but you really should check (and recheck periodically, things can change as neighbors move in and out or change/upgrade their service). And did you switch to AES encryption and N Performance mode? That one change alone made a big difference for me, I was already on the least used channel in my area - 1.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
avvett4us
Enthusiast - Level 2

How come I do not have a choice of n,  just b and g?

CanI get an upgraded router?

I have the WI424 verizon router.

Thanks,

0 Likes
22Becca22
Contributor - Level 3

@avvett4us wrote:

Thanks,

Hello,

If you have one of the FiOS Quantum Speeds (50/25 Mbps or 75/35 Mbps) and are using multiple wireless devices on the home network, then I'd suggest upgrading your router to the FiOS wireless gigabit 'N' router (if you currently have the single-antenna router) as the regular router supports speeds of only up to 54 Mbps wirelessly.

If you had ordered the 150/65 Mbps or 300/65 Mbps FiOS Quantum Internet, then you would have by default received a technician visit to have your router upgraded for free to the FiOS GigE wireless 'N' router with the dual-antenna.  

As part of the speed upgrade, the technician would have checked your Optical Network Terminal (ONT) to make sure it is compatible with the new speed, and whether it warrants a replacement or not (depending on ONTs available in your residential area also).

If you were a brand new customer with the 150/65 or 300/65 speed, then the installation process should have taken care of this.

Here are some forum discussions regarding internet speeds that might be beneficial:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Why-your-Wi-Fi-is-slow/td-p/534451

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/How-to-Get-the-Fastest-FiOS-Speed/td-p/462931

The FiOS wireless gigabit 'N' router can be purchased:

a) online via www.verizon.com/fiosaccessories

OR

b) thru Verizon's Customer Service department at 1-800-Verizon (1-800-837-4966), 

OR 

c) at a local FiOS TV store (call first to check if they have them in stock).  For a list of stores:  http://www22.verizon.com/support/residential/tv/fiostv/general+support/account+issues/questionsone/8...

Hope this helps!

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@avvett4us wrote:

Thanks,

Probably because you do not have a Revision F or Revision I router. What revision do you have (it is on the label on the bottom of the router)?

What you really want is the Rev. I version, it is the latest and greatest, and mine works very well for me. But be aware, it is not a dual-band N router, single band 2.4 GHz only. Still, when I got the Rev. I and set it for AES, N Performance only, my wireless speed went up dramatically.

As to actually getting one with N capability, you probably can. Verizon seems to be mostly replacing currently installed routers with Rev. I's, but there is no guarantee as far as I know. You can visit a Verizon FiOS store if there is one nearby, if you see a Verizon FiOS van go by you can try to stop it and see if they will let you have one, or you can call tech support and ask, all anybody can do is say is no.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
jdem73
Enthusiast - Level 2
I received the N router when I called to complain about my WiFi speed. The customer service rep told me I needed the newest router because my speeds were low when I was right next to it. I didn't have to pay and received the new router in a few days.
0 Likes