Lying by Verizon salespeople is enough to make a used-car salesmen blush
triplebeam1

As someone with both VZW and FiOS, it seems that any time I deal with a Verizon salesperson, they tell me something that is totally untrue in order to close the sale. This has even happened with my 90 year old grandfather, which is really disgraceful. There are never any repurcussions, and I've heard from former VZ employees that the practice is actually encouraged by management.

In the latest case, I told one of these people that I was on the fence about FiOS because I knew gigabit was coming soon, and it seemed like a better idea to go with Comcast in the meantime so I could get new customer pricing. Fear not, he says, we offer free upgrades to any customer who signed up in the last two months and wants to switch. Well, here we are -- it been under two months and gigabit is here. The salesperson I spoke to said he has no knowledge of such a program. If I want to upgrade, I have to sign a two year contract that not only is not new customer pricing, but also includes a $150 existing customer upgrade fee. How disappointing!

All I can say is to make sure you get any claims made by VZ salespeople in writing, and to offer help on behalf of your elderly parents or grandparents because they have no qualms about exploiting them for profit. Disgraceful. Verizon needs to seriously reconsider its commission policies if it wants to repair its badly damaged reputation.

0 Likes
Re: Lying by Verizon salespeople is enough to make a used-car salesmen blush
jonjones1
Legend

I don’t work for Verizon but let’s remember the old adage of “if it sounds to good to be true, then it usually is”

They are sales people. Sales people no matter where the work are trying to generate sales. So you were dinged. Even if the person sent an email to you verifying that claim the company will deny you that they said it. It’s life.

if you are not on contract and want gigabyte only (like I was) I jumped on the gigabyte plan for a $20 extra so it went from $85 to $105 and it was worth it.

and your plan discounts get sunsetted so my $10 discount just fell off so now $115 a month. Next year the $25 comes off and I will pay $138 for the service and a bogus fee of $2.49 for a total of $140.49 still a bargain.

0 Likes
triplebeam1

Why would that be too good to be true? Saying that I'd be eligible for new customer pricing if a new service came out within two months sounds pretty legit to me. 

I deal with salespeople every day. Of course they exaggerate and make you think you're getting a great deal, and it's up to you to poke and prod until you can verify their claims. That is precisely what I did. But the system breaks down when salespeople blatantly make up fake policies without repurcussions. That is not how most companies do business and people should not just write it off as typical salesperson behavior. Lying is fraud and I would not be surprised if it caught up to Verizon in the future.

0 Likes
MrMatthew1
Contributor - Level 1

Hi triplebeam1,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and scroll down the page to an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name located above your post, or at the top right of this page.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, you may subscribe to the case. At the top right of your support case there is a gear icon which provides a drop down menu with support case options. Click that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@triplebeam1 wrote:

Why would that be too good to be true? Saying that I'd be eligible for new customer pricing if a new service came out within two months sounds pretty legit to me. 

I deal with salespeople every day. Of course they exaggerate and make you think you're getting a great deal, and it's up to you to poke and prod until you can verify their claims. That is precisely what I did. But the system breaks down when salespeople blatantly make up fake policies without repurcussions. That is not how most companies do business and people should not just write it off as typical salesperson behavior. Lying is fraud and I would not be surprised if it caught up to Verizon in the future.

Well consider this.

first off Verizon has a 30 day customer satisfaction guarantee. Not 60 days and the customer could have researched it prior to calling the sales department. If that was done you would have caught the sales droid in a lie. Now let’s continue.

It is the very nature of sales to lie and deflect the actual truths to make that sale.

now in this sale we’re you locked into a two year contracts? If so you were taken and even if you leave you have to pay an early termination fee and you still lose.

I am not saying all sales people are liars. Some have a set of scruples that there is a line they won’t cross. But by the nature of the job the pay base is not that high and they rely on commissions and sales bonuses. You say you know sales people so you know I speak the truth.

in this situation you were dinged. You can call it fraud or misrepresentation but today companies use outside sales departments so they claim no liability for what those sales people say or do. It’s terrible the way we as a society have become.

your only course of action if not on contract is to cancel service for 30 business days then sign up online as a new customer or have someone order service at your address a relative or good friend now under their name and sign up online as a new customer to get the better pricing. Additionally you can sign up as no contract so you can leave at anytime. You can save even more if you supply your own router for this high speed service.

Cavaiot emptor is so true....”let the buyer beware” 

0 Likes
triplebeam1

Lying and making up policies is never acceptable and is not common practice. It is fraud. If people accept that this is just part and parcel of the sales experience, then what happens when an elderly or non-technical person comes into Verizon and is totally taken advantage of? Verizon tries to get away with this by claiming that what one representative says is outside of their control, but when all of them are doing it, it makes you wonder whether upper management has been made aware of the problem and is ignoring it. 

This is much more than just a single little incident. Verizon is by far the most dishonest company I've ever dealt with and I wanted to vent about it.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

No problem venting. However you are venting to customers and not official Verizon representatives. I may sympathize with you as will others but the bottom line is “you” have to do the research and know what we want.

to be honest I am an old person (over 60) and when I want something or to purchase a service I research it first. I am not senile nor do I plan to be in the immediate future.

i had two Fios reps visit my wife and I originally to talk us into getting Fios. This service has been in my neighborhood for two years and we always told Fios to scram.

with the constant rate increases by cable we went from tv and internet to internet only.

then although only 15/1 speeds and a stable $39.95 no taxes or fees the service was great. However I was promised before Charter took over a speed of 100/2 for the same price. It never happened so I kept my word to the company and left. Even if I pay 3-4 times more for internet I will not give anything to Time Warner/Charter because they lied.

you also have the same options. You were lied to, now swallow your pride and cancel.

why enrich a company that wronged you. So you either make your own change or live with what has happened.

0 Likes