MAC Filtering
lrv61

Setting up FIOS Quantum Router...cannot connect to devices with MAC filtering "enabled"...if I disable (uncheck box) devices connect wirelessly? I am using the appropriate format for the MAC address...not sure what the issue may be?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: MAC Filtering
Hubrisnxs
Legend
0 Likes
Not applicable

Once you enter your settings, are you scrolling all the way to the bottom and hitting the "Apply" button? It took me a few tries to realize this error.

0 Likes
georgekft
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problem Irv61 reported ... and I do click "Apply".

It happens with both 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands.

The strange thing is, this problem is only with iPhone/Tablet.

Laptops are OK.

As soon as I disable MAC filtering, everything connects.

BTW, MAC filtering worked on all devices with a rev F router

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Be strongly advised..

a) It does not matter what wireless encryption is used MAC Addresses are always sent in the clear.

b) A person could spoof/clone the MAC Address and then past your false sence of security.

0 Likes
georgekft
Enthusiast - Level 1

@ dslr595148

You miss the point: MAC filtering - a feature provided in routers - does not work in the new G1100 router.

So this is for Verizon/Greenwave to fix, and not a question about MAC filtering worthwhile to use.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@georgekft wrote:

@ dslr595148

You miss the point: MAC filtering - a feature provided in routers - does not work in the new G1100 router.

So this is for Verizon/Greenwave to fix, and not a question about MAC filtering worthwhile to use.

Why fix it, if it worked it provides a false sence of security. If I was the Vender, I would completely remote that feature..

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
0 Likes
Cellophone
Enthusiast - Level 1

While MAC address filtering is not fool proof (I personally do not know of any security scheme that is) it does add yet another layer of security that a hacker must work around.  While a knowledgeable hacker with time and interest can spoof a MAC address without much difficulty most folks looking for "free wifi" in your neighborhood are generally not knowledgeable hackers.  Additionally Verizon chose to include this feature so it should work.  In my experience with this feature it was clear that it was poorly tested, if tested at all, especially on the 2.4GHz bandwidth.

Additionally I see the router reporting that connections are active when they are not and expired when they are clearly in use and working.  Thus only leads me to think that the product was not well tested/stressed before being made availaible.  I wish Verizon would understand that no matter how good their network may be if the router they provide is sub-standard then their network is sub-standard.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

To address the point about mac address filtering, there is no one in the industry that suggests that mac address filtering ever be used, and even go so far as to say don't.

It doesn't provide an extra layer of security, it's the equivelant of hiding the keys to your house under the welcome matt.

That kind of security is not security, it is instead "security through obscurity"   

0 Likes
hrodr32
Enthusiast - Level 2

@CommComments wrote:

While MAC address filtering is not fool proof (I personally do not know of any security scheme that is) it does add yet another layer of security that a hacker must work around.  While a knowledgeable hacker with time and interest can spoof a MAC address without much difficulty most folks looking for "free wifi" in your neighborhood are generally not knowledgeable hackers.  Additionally Verizon chose to include this feature so it should work.  In my experience with this feature it was clear that it was poorly tested, if tested at all, especially on the 2.4GHz bandwidth.

Additionally I see the router reporting that connections are active when they are not and expired when they are clearly in use and working.  Thus only leads me to think that the product was not well tested/stressed before being made availaible.  I wish Verizon would understand that no matter how good their network may be if the router they provide is sub-standard then their network is sub-standard.

Kudos to you,  very well said .   And I can also concurr that the active and inactive connections is so inaccurate it can basically be considered void.  No activity lights on the router also annoy me.

The industry is failing so hard more and more every year that I take what the so called "security experts" say with a grain of salt.  "Hackers just gonna hack" as the qubes-os developer puts it.   Thats why there is no such thing as defensive security anymore, its just not as entertaning as offensive "security"..   I think that,  along with the so called "know your threat model" nonsense copout rhetoric that is repeated so much,  is why the computer security  industry is in the state its in...  On one hand we got the government who wants us vulnerable for obvious reasons,   and on the other side all these cyber thiefs and other malicious peeping tom nerds who want us vulnerable simply for their entertainment.  And all the normal computer users, the majority of society,  are stuck in the middle and fed disinformation.

most people hide keys under mats or flower pots or outside their house!!!    I mean do some of these "experts"  consider locking the front door of their house a false sense of security since anyone can just break through a glass window?  hahaha.  Would you really not lock the door!?!   Thats how ridiculous it sounds to me.   To assume everyone who catches a glimpse of your password somehow,  knows how to scan your wireless packets and spoof your mac address is pure ignorance born from arrogance.  I know many people stealing wifi just because they took a picture of someones password on a pc screen, or taped to a laptop or on the back of a router, and they are totally computer illiterate!.  I also would want to frustrate some random hacker even if its only for 10 mins more of grief.  And lets be real,  if you can remember your password,  its not good enough, and  if some knowledgable hacker personally targets you,  anything you do is a false sense of security!!!

I had no issues with the revision F and I router's mac filters. The feature is there and it should be fixed,  It seems like every new revision of a verizon router has less security options and more backdoors. (and they really they enabled wps? lol)

One thing i do appreciate with the new quantum router is that verizon decided to no longer hide the UPNP page,  which is the first thing anyone who cares about their security disables.  (not sure about IGMP options yet)  I hope verizon also listens to these complaints about the mac filter and the network connections list on the new quantum router. (and I always have to mention backdoor port 4567, which was only blockable on the earliest router revision before the newer firmwares took that ability away.....)

Rich.