MI-424 router stopped allowing port forwarding
wkbutler
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi -

I've been using port forwarding with my MI424-WR version D router.  I have what is apparently the latest firmware:

My current::       MI424WR version 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.12.3

Latest online::  MI424WR version 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.6

I cannot recall how I got this firmware, it has been loaded a long time, but everything has been working fine, until now.

I update my port forwarding fairly often, so I know how to do it.  Last week I changed my password, and also we had a power outage and my router's IP address changed.   Yes my administrative user is still of type Admistrator.

THE PROBLEM:  I can no longer see any 'Add' or those edit icons on the port forward page!  Hence I cannot change anything at all.

I have tried:

* resetting to factory defaults via the router UI

* hard-resetting by holding down the rest button on the back of the modem for 20 seconds

* changing my password back to the default

* ensuring my user is an Administrator

* verified my firmware is up to date

I'm a little mystified at this point - any ideas?  Verizon wants to charge me to fix this.

Thanks!

Kent

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
SOLVED: MI-424 router stopped allowing port forwarding
wkbutler
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, Verizon FIOS tech support and Expert Care support could offer no suggestions except to pay $80/hour for help from their Premium support department.

So I did the last thing I could think of which was to downgrade the firmware to the 'latest online' version above.  That worked.  Makes me wonder how I got that newer version???  I'm not trolling hacker sites.

FYI -

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: MI-424 router stopped allowing port forwarding
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try looking at the top of the page ... the "add" dialog move up there when that revision hit my router right under the paragraph of text with the heading "Add a Port Forwarding Rule".

0 Likes
SOLVED: MI-424 router stopped allowing port forwarding
wkbutler
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, Verizon FIOS tech support and Expert Care support could offer no suggestions except to pay $80/hour for help from their Premium support department.

So I did the last thing I could think of which was to downgrade the firmware to the 'latest online' version above.  That worked.  Makes me wonder how I got that newer version???  I'm not trolling hacker sites.

FYI -

0 Likes
wkbutler
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks lasagna, yes I do recall it being there, and I did scour the page for the link.  The whole thing was very strange.

0 Likes
Vmwhere
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the post, I thought I lost it.    I too use the port forward  we have 5 IPs and after the update using the new method did not allow me to make an association with the public ip address.   Very Strange, I reverted.  

Just a side note, I recommend disabling the the Automatic Firmware Update.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I think you're just misreading the new format.   At the top, after the first sentence, under the heading "Port Forwarding" you simply dropdown the address box and select "Specify IP address" and on the Application to Forward" dropdown, you select "Custom ports".   Then you have a whole form full of options that you can setup all the items you did previously.

I have numerous port forwarding rules defined running the new firmware version (which also appeared on my router unannounced).   Thrw me for a loop for a bit until I figured out where the buttons went.

A "who moved my cheese" issue.

0 Likes