MI424 Firmware Update Screwed Up LAN Communications
amateur_techsup

I'm upset because I have my Actiontec MI424 intentionally set not to download firmware updates, and in fact, not even to check for updates.  Despite that, it seems that my router did an automatic upgrade on Friday the 13th (how appropriate) to 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.6.

The only reason  I went to the trouble to figure this out is that all of my LAN communications went completely haywire since the upgrade.  The machines on my LAN became unable to ping each other, Windows file sharing didn't work, can't get to my TiVo's webpage, etc.  Internet access continued to work fine.

I restored my router to 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.7 and everything works fine again.  I felt obligated to post this because I know Verizon tech support will make all of you spend hours "turning off your firewalls" and whatever other b.s. they can come up with, when the real problem derives from AN UNAUTHORIZED AND UNWANTED FIRMWARE UPGRADE.

Good luck everyone. 

0 Likes
Re: MI424 Firmware Update Screwed Up LAN Communications
Justin46
Legend

First, I am sorry to hear that you have had problems with the newest router software, it sucks when things like that happen.

Second, FWIW, I have had exactly the opposite experience. My file sharing, etc, didn't work initially on the older level (I eventually did get it to work, not sure how), but since I received the newest level (11.6) sharing has worked just fine, didn't have to do anything to get it to work, just used it less than an hour ago. And I do have a firewall active (ZoneAlarm) on all PCs.

You may want to read the Verizon Terms of Service document which you have presumably agreed to:

http://www22.verizon.com/terms/files/FiOS_Internet_TOS.pdf

Here is an excerpt from the TOS (my bolding):

"7.1 We may provide you, for a fee or at no charge, software for use in connection with the Service which is owned by Verizon or its third party licensors, providers and suppliers (“Software”). We reserve the right periodically to update, upgrade or change the Software remotely or otherwise and to make related changes to the settings and software on your computer or Equipment, and you agree to permit such changes and access to your computer and Equipment. You may use the Software only in connection with the Service and for no other purpose."

I think that means that Verizon has the right to do what they did. I have seen other posts at other forums discussing this very issue, and it seemed like the concensus was that Verizon did have the right.And the discussion indicated that those users had not been able to find a setting in the router to prevent Verizon from updating the software.

I am most certainly not a lawyer, but when I read the above it does seem to me that the TOS does allow Verizon to update the software in the router. Just MHO of course, and I do sympathize with you, you get something working and it is very frustrating when it gets broken like that. But as I said, for me, in this specific instance, it didn't break mine (yet? who knows....).

Keller, TX 76248

cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
The thig about deciding to use the routers in ways other than with default settings is that YOU then take the responsibility of managing any changes or necessary changes, after Verizon does what they may do.  Unless you have modified the default settings of the router in others ways than turning off checking for updates, the new updates shouldn't have changed anything on your network.  
0 Likes
maxcasey
Thank you on your fix for the Actiontec firmware screwup.
0 Likes