MI424WR Rev.I Very Poor Performance
chiques
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello Community,

I just recieved a new router from Verizon (even though I did not ask for it) but it was nothing but problems from unboxing.

My network:

I have about 100FT of ethernet cable from my router to my switch and access point. I have had to use a signal booster in the past but with the current Verizon router (the older MI424-WR Rev E) I do not need one.

In summary the new router has poorer ethernet signal integrety and wifi signal performance. Here is a breakdown:

Actiontec Actiontec
 MI424-WR Rev.EMI424WR Rev.I
NomenclatureOlder Model?Is this an 'I' or '1'?
EthernetCan use with 100 Feet + Ethernet w/o booster & not loose signalLooses ethernet signal after 100 FT of ethernet cable. Booster does not help
WirelessSignal penetrates two structures and can still hold a linkSignal is dead after two structures. No response from wifi

I have requested Verizon connect my older router and I'm sending the new one back.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: MI424WR Rev.I Very Poor Performance
chiques
Enthusiast - Level 3

Re:

"

What's marked on your ethernet cables sheating?  Sounds like the cables are not rated for what you are trying to do.

Using CAT 5 or up you should be able to run gigabit speeds with no issues up to 100 meters - 330 feet. If you cable is marked correctly then I would guess that the termination is incorrect, possibly run as straight through.

Look at this article 

http://www.cableorganizer.com/articles/difference-between-T568A-and-T568B.html

and compare your termination to what is in the article to make sure your termination is correct - either one is valid termination.

What kind of signal booster have you been attempting to use on ethernet cable?

"

I thought about doing all of this but it was much easier just to reactivate my old Router-Modem and go on with my day.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's possible you received a bum unit. Tried asking verizon for a replacement Rev. I or perhaps one of the newer Greenwave routers?

0 Likes
chiques
Enthusiast - Level 3

I thought about it being a lemon but the fact that short ethernet cables worked fine made me think twice.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

What's marked on your ethernet cables sheating?  Sounds like the cables are not rated for what you are trying to do.

Using CAT 5 or up you should be able to run gigabit speeds with no issues up to 100 meters - 330 feet. If you cable is marked correctly then I would guess that the termination is incorrect, possibly run as straight through.

Look at this article 

and compare your termination to what is in the article to make sure your termination is correct - either one is valid termination.

0 Likes
chiques
Enthusiast - Level 3

Re:

"

Look at this article 

"

I thought about doing all of this but it was much easier just to reactivate my old Router-Modem and go on with my day.

0 Likes