MI424WR Windows 7 Connectivity - Routinely have to Reset Laptop Wireless Adapter
MaxU
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a MI424WR Rev 1 router with multiple devices connected to it wired and wirelessly.

Only my two laptops (work and personal) running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit have problems routinely connecting wirelessly.  Not every day, but frequently, upon boot up or return from "sleep", I notice that the wireless icon indicates no connectivity (either limited access - no internet or no network connect) and while the SSID is recognized, the wireless adapter isn't recognizing it as a known good "Home" network from a trust perspective.

I have two tablets (iPad and Android) several phones, blu-ray player, PS3, printer all connecting wirelessly without a problem.

Sometimes the issue can't be corrected with just laptop troubleshooting and I have to complete a "hard" re-boot of the router (pull power and wait 1 min or so and then try again).

Both laptops connect to other wireless accesspoints (mobile hotspot, work or Panera wi-fi) without issue - so this would seem to be a MI424WR issue.

I've spent several long nights with Verizon "chat" support working this, and once it is fixed - they are happy and gone - but the problem returns within a day or so.

I've checked and my driver versions for WiFi adapters (both computers) appear to be current.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you in advance for anything to help permanently correct this annoyance.

0 Likes
Re: MI424WR Windows 7 Connectivity - Routinely have to Reset Laptop Wireless Adapter
MaxU
Enthusiast - Level 2

An update - both my laptops were connected fine last night to my wireless network.  When I checked this morning - neither had wireless connectivity.  Windows 7 networking troubleshooting (e.g. resetting device, etc.) couldn't connect my work laptop in the time I had to troubleshoot this morning.  Home laptop network and sharing center shows constant cycling trying to connect without success.  It is currently reporting no network access to my wireless SSD ("identifying").

As both independent laptops experienced this problem overnight - I have to assume it is a MI424WR initiated problem - and yet - my android tablet had no problem staying connected overnight.

I will try re-booting the home laptop to see if that makes a difference.

Maddening!

0 Likes
Re: MI424WR Windows 7 Connectivity - Routinely have to Reset Laptop Wireless Adapter
MaxU
Enthusiast - Level 2

Only way to apparently "fix" this (temporarily) is to re-boot the FIOS modem - then both laptops "snap in" without an issue.  It lasted 1 day and on day 2, both laptops can see the SSID but can't connect to the network - sounds like some sort of IP conflict to this experience.

Any suggestions?  I wonder if I should assign a permanent IP to my two laptops and see how that goes?

Thanks to anyone with experience to help resolve this.  Shouldn't have to re-boot the modem every couple of days to keep connectivity going.

0 Likes
Cunningcory

Good luck with this. I'm glad to see I'm not alone. I've been having this issue for MONTHS. It's only with my laptop and only with the Actiontec router.

I have Windows 7 64-bit. Are you using an Intel wireless card? I think mine is Intel 6150. The only thing I've been able to find is an ARP Offload issue. There's a registry hack to turn off ARP Offloading on the wireless card. This, followed by a complete factor reset of my router, got my connection working for a record four days! Then I had to reboot the router for something (because Actiontec sucks) and the issue came back all over again. Tried the reset and it didn't help.

So now I'm back at square one...

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try some updated drivers. Get the driver from the Wireless Card manufacturer's website rather than the computer manufacturer's website and see if that helps. If you need help finding a driver let us know what your card is.

0 Likes
MaxU
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'll wait a week to see if this solution is really the fix - but I went into the router and assigned static IP addresses to my two laptops (two each - one LAN, one WAN).  It has now been 4 or 5 days without an incident.  Before - I couldn't go for more than a day or two without having this challenge show up.

0 Likes
MaxU
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok - back to square 1 on both Windows 7 machines with no known change in any configuration.  Both laptops experienced perfect wireless connections for over a week and suddenly yesterday I had nothing (yet all other devices in the house (e.g. iPad, phone, Blu-ray player, printers) did not have a problem.  After multiple re-boots and powering down the router, still a problem - I connected both by wire to get my work done.  Very frustrating.  Not sure what else to try.

0 Likes
MaxU
Enthusiast - Level 2

New symptom that might help someone with smarts.  I tried using the Intel PROset/Wireless Tools provided by my laptop and ran a "diagnosis".  All tests passed except for the Ping Test and the Test summary says "Response: default gateway.  No Response: DHCP server".  Does anyone know what to check on a MI424WR for that issue?  Thank you in advance for any ideas.

I just tried it again (above was when I ran it last night) and this morning the Ping Test failed with the comment: "Failure getting ping status!"

0 Likes
SingingMom

I've had the exact same list of issues with my Dell laptop running Windows 7 64-bit for months.  Anyone find a solution yet?  I've tried everything I can think of and just about every "fix" I could find on the internet with no resolution.

Frustrated... 😞

0 Likes
Vigz
Contributor - Level 1
Try assigning the router to a channel (preferably 1, 6, or 11) rather than Automatic. I had the same problem as yours. My intel wireless card (even after latest driver update) kept disconnecting with the yellow triangle icon and the "available wireless network icon". I used InSSIDer on one laptop that had a flawless connection and one that was disconnecting. The one that worked said the router was on Channel 2 while the one that was broken kept switching from Channel 6 to Channel 2. I then went to the router page and set the channel to 11. Now, the laptop with the broken connection works flawlessly.