MOCA connection issue since fios one box
Not applicable

Hi

So we upgrade to 1GB FiOS one internet and everything was working fine with using my MOCA bought from Verizon to create a hardline in my office. We then upgraded our cable boxes to the new Fios one boxes with minis about a week, week and half later. After installing these boxes I get knocked off my vpn connection once and hour at least, some times twice. Everything works fine with wifi, but slower connection. So it has to be some signal the new boxes send interrupting the internet. How can I fix this?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: MOCA connection issue since fios one box
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try switching the FiOS ONE mini's to WiFi and unplug them from coax.  Let us know if the problem persists.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

What VPN protocol are you using, IPSec, PPTP, L2TP, OpenVPN, or et cetera?

What transport ports does your VPN use? Make sure they are not conflicting with the FiOS One's ports.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have a FiOS TV One box connected to both MoCa and Ethernet for data?

Not applicable

Hi. 

No, the MOCA is the only thing connected to that coaxial. Recently spoke to a verizon tech and he said the old MOCAs don't work on the new system. You have to get a special extender. 🤷🏻

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

MoCa should be backwards compatible with older MoCa devices. What is the specific model of the adapter you're using? The tech may be referring to potential of compatibility issues due to mixing versions of MoCa.

Not applicable

It is a VPN provided by work for security purposes. I don't know anything about it.

But it was working fine before the new cable boxes were installed and works fine on wifi. I think the new boxes send a signal to said i need a special extender as old MOCAs no longer work.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Using one I bought from Verizon that was 55 bucks. Not sure the model. It is very basic. It isn't about backwards compatibility it is that this one isn't made for the new fios one .

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Right. So going back to my other post, it shouldn't matter how old the adapter is. Old MoCa adapters would have a performance penalty rather than a reliability penalty.

Another question. Are you using a Verizon supplied Splitter or did you buy one? What's the frequency rating on the splitter?

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am just wondering a loop-back connection.

Did your FiOS mini connect to both WiFi and MoCA? If you so, need to disable one of the connection.

Also, as the above poster mentioned, did you buy your own coax splitter? Presumably no, because that $55 MoCA adapter you bought from Verizon is ECB5240M, it comes with a 1 to 2 coax splitter and short coax cables.

Not applicable

I actually didn't use the splitter because I don't have a cable box in that room. 

0 Likes