Customers With Disabilities

quick menu

MOTOROLA SBG6580 MODEM/ROUTER WIRELESS N COMPATIBLE WITH VERIZON FIOS ?

SOLVED
Contributor

MOTOROLA SBG6580 MODEM/ROUTER WIRELESS N COMPATIBLE WITH VERIZON FIOS ?

Message 1 of 6 (29,319 Views)

hi can anyont tell me if the motorola surfboard extremewireless cable modem gateway is compatible with verizon fios ? i purchased it not long ago for my cox internet so like to use it for the wireless n portion of it so the wireless is stronger and travels farther...please any input would be kool........ty

5 REPLIES
Platinum Contributor I

Re: MOTOROLA SBG6580 MODEM/ROUTER WIRELESS N COMPATIBLE WITH VERIZON FIOS ?

Message 2 of 6 (29,316 Views)

not compatible as a replacement for the actiontec, but you should be able to piggy back it to the verizon router and use it's wireless signal instead. 

Contributor

Message 3 of 6 (29,311 Views)

ty for reply and answer !!!!!

Contributor

Message 4 of 6 (29,004 Views)

Hi...I'd like to chime in on this with to ask a little deeper into it. I, too, have a Motorola SURFboard (SB6121) that I want to use to connect to my verizon router/modem to increase speed, but for some reason it's not working out and the verizon rep I just got off the phone with was clueless about computers/networking in general :-(  I have the new modem plugged into port 4 of the verizon one, but no beans!-what am I missing?

Platinum Contributor I

Message 5 of 6 (28,993 Views)

This should be a good walk through that you can use to connect your surf board with the fios router.

MVP

Message 6 of 6 (28,983 Views)

Deucebaby wrote:

Hi...I'd like to chime in on this with to ask a little deeper into it. I, too, have a Motorola SURFboard (SB6121) that I want to use to connect to my verizon router/modem to increase speed, but for some reason it's not working out and the verizon rep I just got off the phone with was clueless about computers/networking in general :-(  I have the new modem plugged into port 4 of the verizon one, but no beans!-what am I missing?

I'm afraid the SURFBoard SB6121 from Motorola won't be of much use. That's a cable modem only that relies on DOCSIS technology, something FiOS does not use. Doesn't have built-in Wireless and instead only has a single port for connecting devices TO the modem when it's set up on a DOCSIS network (it otherwise, might be running itself as a router as older Motorola cable modems do without a signal, which will cause issues with your network).

The reason the SBG6580 can be set up to work with FiOS is because it happens to be a Cable modem with a built-in Wired and Wireless router, which can be disabled enough to not cause issues and set up as a bridge. While the DOCSIS "Cable modem" portion is useless with FiOS, it works fine otherwise.

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.

My Verizon

• Check Email
  • Add or Change Services
  • Suspend My Service
  • Manage Services

Support

Watch Fios