Mac Airport Extreme and FIOS
Cajun

I have a FIOS set up with a DLink DL604 wired router.  I can connect my Airport Express buy going through the router.  I would like to eleminate the DL604 and connect directly to the Airport Extreme.

I called Verizon FIOS support and they indicated that it could be done.  They indicated that I would have to change the AE from DHCP to PPPoE.  I have tried this without much luck.

Anyone know if this works and how to do it?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Mac Airport Extreme and FIOS
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

yeah, if you have the d-link 604 it is definatly pppoe. Verizon didnt change to dhcp until they moved to the d-link 624 router.

All you have to do is to get your instructions for your airport to tell you how to log into it. Once logged in you go to the wan settings and select pppoe. it will ask you for a username and password. These do not matter as verizon doesnt use them, you just have to put something in the fields. (admin/password will work perfect). Then move the wan cable from the dlink to the airport. no waiting no muss no fuss.

View solution in original post

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

What are the settings on your DLINK?  Most FiOS installs are DHCP, not PPPoE -- but there are still a few installs out there that used PPPoE.

If your DLINK is using DHCP, you'll need to go into the DLINK and "release" the WAN address.  Then you should be able to connect up your Airport's WAN interface (with the Airport configured as a NAT routrer with DHCP) to the FiOS ethernet connection and have it pick up an address.

If not, you may need to wait a few hours for the DHCP reservation on the Verizon side to time out (it's holding onto your old Mac address) unless you want to configure the Airport to use the same Mac address the Dlink had (not sure if the Airport can do this).

If you're PPPoE, then you need to get the PPPoE info from the DLINK router and place that into the Airport configuration.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Think you'll also have to wait for at least 4 hours after you disconnect the Dlink until the network forgets about your mac address.

0 Likes
Cajun

The setting on the DLink show PPPoE.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

yeah, if you have the d-link 604 it is definatly pppoe. Verizon didnt change to dhcp until they moved to the d-link 624 router.

All you have to do is to get your instructions for your airport to tell you how to log into it. Once logged in you go to the wan settings and select pppoe. it will ask you for a username and password. These do not matter as verizon doesnt use them, you just have to put something in the fields. (admin/password will work perfect). Then move the wan cable from the dlink to the airport. no waiting no muss no fuss.

Cajun

Spacedebris,

That did it.  Thank you VERY much.

0 Likes