Mac users! Can I get a wireless range expander that isn't windows based?
greengroovymom

I use Fios internet through my Actiontec router and my son is playing Xbox 360 live constantly...he is complaining that the internet signal is cutting out (his room is upstairs).

If I don't want to run a cable upstairs, what are some of my internet expander/booster options..

I have tried Belkin and Linksys products to solve tis, but they don't seem compatible with the Actiontec Router AND our 3 Macs

(we are a no PC family...)  The software for install always seems to be Windows based...

Thanks for any suggestions you could throw my way!

Erin

0 Likes
Re: Mac users! Can I get a wireless range expander that isn't windows based?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The wireless expanders aren't "windows based" although they may use a Windows tool to do the initial configuration.  Most, if not all, also have a web based interface for configuration.   You would put the expander half-way between the router and the Xbox, not next to the Xbox.

However ... I would perhaps take a different approach than wireless altogether.

Do you have FiOS TV in the room with the Xbox?  If so, get a MoCA adapter -- ActionTec HME2200 -- will do the trick.  This will extend your Internet connection upstairs over the Coax which is already supplying the TV.  One side of the box is Coax (which you connect to the same cable as the TV box via a splitter) and the other is an Ethernet cable which you attach directly to the Xbox.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

well instead of a range expander, you may want to try an "Ethernet over Power" system. When these work, its not quite as good as direct wire, but its generally better than wireless.

just go to google and run a search for Ethernet over Power and you will find many links. And for a gaming system, this may be the answer your looking for

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes ... Ethernet over Powerline is good too ... BUT ... you must make sure that the outlet near where your router is located and into which you plug the head end of the network repeater and the outlet in the room where the Xbox is locate are either on the same circuit (unlikely) or at least on the same phase (50/50 chance) -- depending on your breaker box, you might be able to tell this by looking at the breakers which service each of the two outlets you're considering (in typical single height breaker installations, every other breaker is usually on the same phase).

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@lasagna wrote:

Yes ... Ethernet over Powerline is good too ... BUT ... you must make sure that the outlet near where your router is located and into which you plug the head end of the network repeater and the outlet in the room where the Xbox is locate are either on the same circuit (unlikely) or at least on the same phase (50/50 chance) -- depending on your breaker box, you might be able to tell this by looking at the breakers which service each of the two outlets you're considering (in typical single height breaker installations, every other breaker is usually on the same phase).

Never heard anything good about them, probably because of what your description above just said.  Typically way above the head of a normal home/appt owner who only has a fuzzy idea of where there breaker box might be and what each individual breaker acyually controls.
Also the thruput typically sucks worse as much as wireless.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yeah ... I don't care much for the powerline stuff either although the newer stuff is supposed to more stable.   I am however a big fan of the MoCA converters -- work like a champ.

0 Likes
donutz28
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actiontec has what you're looking for. Look under the column for home networking.

http://www.actiontec.com/prod_page.php

The Actiontec powerline products work well with their router.   Its your best bet.

The other option is to connect a 2nd Actiontec router with routing disabled to your coax elsewhere.  It'll become a slave 4-point switch to your 1st router and a 2nd wireless access point.