Macbook Wireless Internet OK, Can't Print
beckerhowe

That's pretty much it.  I was using Comcast and an Airport Extreme.  PRinting dropped out every few weeks, but resets fixed that.

Now, with HP 3100 printer connected to base computer (iMac) exactly as before, Macbook has blazing fast Internet, but cannot print ("Opening printer connection" just goes on forever).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Macbook Wireless Internet OK, Can't Print
mleduc35651
Contributor - Level 2

I know almost nothing about MACs but i'll throw some ideas out there..

To make sure I understand your setup..

You have an iMac on the network with a printer directly connected to it.

You then have a Macbook connected to the network that can't print to that printer..

Can the iMac print to the printer ok?

Can the Macbook see or talk to the iMac for things like file sharing etc.. In windows you need to do some network setup on both machines to make sure they can see and talk to each other. Not sure how Mac does this.

You could try uninstalling any printer drivers on the Macbook and then starting the printer setup from scratch.?

Not sure how much of this makes sense for Mac ...

0 Likes
beckerhowe

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, the iMac wried to the printer prints fine.  Macbook is connected to network, wirelessly, and can use internet, read mail. etc. without problem.

I'll check the file sharing, and get back to you soon.

TH

0 Likes
beckerhowe

As far as I can tell, the settings for file sharing are the same for both the base iMac and the laptop Macbook.

0 Likes
i_like_turtles
Contributor - Level 1

I use my mac to connect to my school printer wirelessly ...

I had to set it up once and it involved adding an " IP printer " in the prineter add screen....

it asked me a couple of questions liek waht type of printer it was and of course teh IP

and then now whenever i want to print wirelessly i just select the IP address of the printer, as the printer name.

hope this helps

0 Likes