Re: Major Network Problems
dnshelp
Enthusiast - Level 1

switching to google's free dns service seems to be a good temporary work around.  it seems to have fixed my problems anyway.

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

only for those confident configuring their network settings.

dnshelp
Enthusiast - Level 1

it seems i spoke too soon. im still seeing issues. must be something else or something larger.

theblur
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's not the DNS,  it's something else with FIOS, and not all FIOS reps will admit the problem.   Time to switch back to Cable.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@theblur wrote:

It's not the DNS,  it's something else with FIOS, and not all FIOS reps will admit the problem.   Time to switch back to Cable.

DSL is seeing the same problems, so it's not JUST FiOS. This stuff happens. I'd be patient since these problems, while annoying, do go away in due time. The lack of info isn't too helpful unfortunately, other than knowing a ton of people in New York are having problems and it's going to other east coast areas. There is probably a malfunctioning router somewhere along the line, probably in the same place where the routing outage during the summer occurred.

jackwong
Enthusiast - Level 3

I said the same thing to the rep., I will not call again for this problem, I will just switch back to cable, because it is "normal" to him.

I am paying a PREMIUM price for internet service but I am getting a cable speed/DSL problem?

It is $60 vs $25.

I got so mad because he said it is "my" wireless problem, and wireless doesn't get full 15Mbps speed, and you don't talk like this to a computer technician. If you don't know about this, transfer my call to a technician. By the way, I was getting ~5Mbps only...

---------

---------

INTREPID-NY
Enthusiast - Level 2

Have fun with cable.  Fios is superior in every way.  Internet problems happen occasionally with every provider.  Verizon Fios has vastly superior reliability to Cable.  Anyone who has had both will certainly agree. 

This is a Verizon Issue that is being fixed - don't bother playing with your computer, router, DNS, etc.   It's better this morning and Verizon has stated that the Repair will be complete by the end of the day.

theblur
Enthusiast - Level 2

this has been going on for a week.  they can not give a repair date and time.  and if they do, it's a LIE.    1/2 the phone support techs know nothing about this problem, and they tell me it's my personal computer.   It's actually insulting how they try to pawn off the problem, or act like it doesn't exist.

Last night one tech had me switch to the google DNS,  wasted more time playing with that, when they should know it's not a DNS problem.    He should have said to wait it out, and there's nothing more he can do.    But instead he jerks me about for 40 minutes.

jackwong
Enthusiast - Level 3

I knew how bad is the cable speed in my area during the peak hour.

And if the verizon rep. not telling the customer the truth and blaming the problem on the customer side, I would rather go back to cable.

I don't need refund for the monthly fee, just admit the problem and tell me you guys are working on it.

-----------------------

Have fun with cable.  Fios is superior in every way.  Internet problems happen occasionally with every provider.  Verizon Fios has vastly superior reliability to Cable.  Anyone who has had both will certainly agree. 

This is a Verizon Issue that is being fixed - don't bother playing with your computer, router, DNS, etc.   It's better this morning and Verizon has stated that the Repair will be complete by the end of the day.

----------------------

mikemrossi
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have this issue in Rockland County, NY. Had it for over a week and still have it.

RJMacReady
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey Mike,  First time here for me is the suburbs of Philadelphia. I think it is system wide, as my TV was having major pixelation problems this AM. I was looking at Ch #49, local weather to see if this !@#$%^& rain is EVER going to stop. Maybe that has something to do with it, considering the record breaking amount of rain we have had here in the last 2-3 months I suspect anything is possible. Anything not inside my home has not completely dried out in over a month. A week for you having problems is on the intolerable side-- have you contacted Vz Tech Support? Hang in there, I'm sure Vz will get a fix for all of it soon. This is the first major problem I have had in over 2 years of FIOS usage...        Good Luck,  RJM