Re: Making the MOCA to Ethernet switch and still using MOCA in some areas?
Mendes9
Contributor - Level 1

gsob,

Thanks for the explanation makes sense.  Now, what if you add 300MBPS internet service for example, and also have TV service? I'm reading conflicting information on this setup. Some are saying ONT only supports MOCA 1.1,  so to get above 100MBPS your internet connection needs to come from the ethernet port on ONT.   I read others saying G1100 FIOS router supports MOCA 2.0 and if you get your ONT upgraded to newer it supports MOCA 2.0 and you can still use coax connection for both video and internet.  If the first scenario is true and above 100MBPS service you need to use ethernet port from ONT, what does that look like? Do you need to connect your own router to the ethernet port on ONT, and then the FIOS router to coax and local lan connection to service the STB's? If yes, which router needs to supply DHCP addresses for the STB's, the verizon router or your own router or doesn't matter? Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Mendes9 wrote:

gsob,

Thanks for the explanation makes sense.  Now, what if you add 300MBPS internet service for example, and also have TV service? I'm reading conflicting information on this setup. Some are saying ONT only supports MOCA 1.1,  so to get above 100MBPS your internet connection needs to come from the ethernet port on ONT.   I read others saying G1100 FIOS router supports MOCA 2.0 and if you get your ONT upgraded to newer it supports MOCA 2.0 and you can still use coax connection for both video and internet.  If the first scenario is true and above 100MBPS service you need to use ethernet port from ONT, what does that look like? Do you need to connect your own router to the ethernet port on ONT, and then the FIOS router to coax and local lan connection to service the STB's? If yes, which router needs to supply DHCP addresses for the STB's, the verizon router or your own router or doesn't matter? Thanks in advance.

The ONT does only support MoCA 1.1 and the G1100 does support 2.0. Since the ONT doesn’t have a 2.0 MoCA port you can’t go above 100/100 on coax. Verizon doesn’t have any ONTs that have a MoCA 2.0 WAN port. 

If you upgrade to 300/300 then the tech will run and ethernet from the ONT to the WAN port of your G1100. The coax from ONT will still connect to a main splitter which one goes to the G1100 and the others go to your STBs. 

You will not need a second router. Whether you have ethernet or coax WAN connection from the ONT the LAN connection still will be provided to STBs via the coax from the router. Basically nothing will be different except for the new ethernet going to the G1100 from the ONT. 

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes