Need a better manual for the Acitontec router. Cannot figure out how to configure it for my lan using fixed (private) I.P. addresses. Also cannot log into router. Password echos several dots for each character. Is there a better manual somewhere for this router?
Links to download a manual can be found here:
The multiple dots when you enter your password is a security measure. It's supposed to stop someone sitting near you from being able to tell how many characters you're entering. I just look down at the keyboard instead at the screen to avoid confusion.
You could probably get some help here if you provide some specifics what you're trying to do with your LAN. I have several devices with static IP's here and it works well.
Cannot figure out how to configure it for my lan using fixed (private) I.P. addresses.
If you're referring to a true static IP address, those are assigned at the device, not in the router.
You can however, establish a DHCP reservation in the router so that a particular MAC address always gets the same IP address.
- Login to the router. You can try password,password1 or the router serial number (case sensitive, located under the bar code on the router label). If none of those work, you will need to do a hard reset of the router (recessed red button on the back).
- Click on the Advanced icon at the top
- Select IP Address Distribution
- Click on the Conection List Button
- Click on the New Static Connection link.
- Enter a name for the device, desired IP address and MAC address.
- Click APPLY
- Rinse and repeat for additonal devices.