Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-Store & Curbside Pickup or same day delivery.

May be wrong forum but how do I portforward?

skyliner34
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

May be wrong forum but how do I portforward?

Message 1 of 16
(1,714 Views)

Okay so I have netgear and my laptop is getting NAT:Moderate and I would like to switch it to open. Now I drop sometimes that is why I want to open my port. I put the netgear router on dmz on the fios but it's still not getting opened. I even portforwarded on both the routers and its not open. The actiontec can open itself but you see I have netgear+actiontec so how do I get my ports open?

15 REPLIES 15
skyliner34
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Re: May be wrong forum but how do I portforward?

Message 2 of 16
(1,540 Views)

Hello anyone? I really need to portforward for my game.

Anti-Phish
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III

Message 3 of 16
(1,518 Views)

Can't advise you on how to port forward the Netgear.  Check the manufacturer's documention.

Actiontec port forward instructions can be found here:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16968

Some questions:

• Which router is primary?
  • If Netgear is primary, why are you even trying to port forward the Actiontec?
  • How are the routers connected?  LAN-to-WAN or LAN-to-LAN?
  • "The actiontec can open itself"  What does that mean?
  • How are you determining the ports are not open?  The game must be running and accepting connections for the ports to be considered open. See my response here: http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Port-forwarding-woes/td-p/589945

skyliner34
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 4 of 16
(1,512 Views)

I know how to portforward. I portforwarded both routers netgear+actiontec. I even put the netgear on the DMz  of the actiontec and my port is still closed. LAN-ethernet. The lan is on the actiontec connected to the internet port on my netgear router.

I mean I can portforward on the actiontec but when I portforward on the netgear it won't open which my laptop is connected to so it won't open. I am getting moderate nat, I should be getting opened like when I was connected to the actiontec mi424wr. I used http://www.canyouseeme.org/ and my game should be saying open instead of moderate. It's really confusing because the netgear port won't open and I don't know how to make it open even thought I port forwarded on the netgear.

skyliner34
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 5 of 16
(1,465 Views)

Hello anyone know how to forward my ports?

Smith6612
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 6 of 16
(1,455 Views)

You need to eliminate the double NAT (Netgear + ActionTec). Running two routers like this is prone to all sorts of trouble, especially with Port Forwarding like you're seeing. If UPnP is also in use, this complicates the issue further.

If your ActionTec is set up as the primary router, you should set your Netgear as an Access Point/Switch combo so that you are not introducing a Double NAT. This is typically accomplished by disabling DHCP and all other routing functions on your Netgear, including UPnP, Firewall, etc, and connecting the Netgear up to your ActionTec LAN to LAN rather than LAN to "Internet" as it sounds like you have it now.

Also for game consoles, if you use multiple, make use of UPnP.

skyliner34
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 7 of 16
(1,452 Views)

I don't think my actiontec is setup as a router as I disable the wireless part of it and I can't access the UPNP on my netgear router. I made my netgear as a AP but I can't still access port forward that port. I want my Netgear to be my router not the actiontec. I can't even access the port forward feature on my router now because I just set it up as an AP. I did Lan to Lan and port not open still.

tns2
Platinum Contributor III

Message 8 of 16
(1,419 Views)

As said you may have to eliminate the double NAT.  Another possibility that helps in some cases is putting your NETGEAR in your Actiontec's DMZ.

skyliner34
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 9 of 16
(1,370 Views)

How do i elimate double nat, as said in my first post I already did the dmz on actiontec.

tns2
Platinum Contributor III

Message 10 of 16
(1,338 Views)

You need to change your own router to no longer act as a router.  Details vary by model, but first thing is to not have it act as a dhcp provider.  Instead have the actiontec supply all addresses.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title