bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

http://meetfrontier.com/

Looks like April 1 is the cutover date.

0 Likes
Re: Meet Frontier - for CA, TX, FL FIOS customers
Airwolf1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm not looking forward to the switch at all.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Airwolf wrote:

I'm not looking forward to the switch at all.

Me either. But there isn't anything we can do about it, so I think we might as well try to make the most of it. One good thing is that Frontier is apparently getting not only the actual service but also a lot of the Verizon people that have installed the equipment and supported us, I am hoping that that will be a big plus to avoid most or all of the horror stories from previous Frontier acquisitions from Verizon and other providers.

At least I do have some options available if Frontier drops the ball; where I live I have access to Charter Cable (ugh! had them before, double ugh!), and of course I could always try out DirecTV or Dish.

Trying to take a postive view moving forward..... Smiley Happy

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes
Airwolf1
Enthusiast - Level 3

What I've been reading is all of the my verizon stuff will be gone so if we need to change services we have to call in. I like having easy access to change things when I want.

I guess Frontier had issues with their online ordering so they stopped it. That's what I've read anyways.

The rewards program will of course be gone and I'm even reading how the fios mobile app will be gone so we'll loose the mobile viewing.

I have a local store that I'm sure will close.

I also read that we will loose some channels, but gain others.

I guess we'll see just how much we'll loose.

I recently resigned with Verizon just incase Frontier's pricing is terrible. I really don't want to have to go back to Bright House after 6 years and dealing with their crap, but if Frontier turns out to be an issue I'll have to just pay the etf and switch.

I know they are already transfering over phone and internet services. Tracerroutes show Frontier. Youtube has been unbearable the last few days.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

0 Likes
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

I had an online chat with a Frontier support person and she said the following:

1. All services and prices will be unchanged

2. "Your ISP will be the same" - and specifically there will not be a change to IP addresses

3. Verizon email would continue to work as-is

A few weeks ago a squirrel ate through the fiber optic cable that comes into my home and Verizon installed a new one. I talked to both the cable installer tech (a Verizon subcontractor) and the Verizon tech who re-hooked my ONT box to the new cable. They both said Frontier had offered them 2 year contracts and both said they were planning on accepting them. They also said that essentially there was not going to be any quipment change at the time of the cutover.  

I fully expected to hear (1) above, but (2) and (3) seem to suggest that Frontier will just take over all the existing Verizon infrastructure, including offices, head-ends, servers, cable plant, etc.  Hopefully enough Verizon people will make the switch to Frontier so all this stuff will continue to work.  

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bbinnard wrote:

I had an online chat with a Frontier support person and she said the following:

1. All services and prices will be unchanged

2. "Your ISP will be the same" - and specifically there will not be a change to IP addresses

3. Verizon email would continue to work as-is

A few weeks ago a squirrel ate through the fiber optic cable that comes into my home and Verizon installed a new one. I talked to both the cable installer tech (a Verizon subcontractor) and the Verizon tech who re-hooked my ONT box to the new cable. They both said Frontier had offered them 2 year contracts and both said they were planning on accepting them. They also said that essentially there was not going to be any quipment change at the time of the cutover.  

I fully expected to hear (1) above, but (2) and (3) seem to suggest that Frontier will just take over all the existing Verizon infrastructure, including offices, head-ends, servers, cable plant, etc.  Hopefully enough Verizon people will make the switch to Frontier so all this stuff will continue to work.  

As reported in other threads, already wrong on 2 and 3.

0 Likes
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

Oh really?  Do you have links for those threads?

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bbinnard wrote:

Oh really?  Do you have links for those threads?

Your haven't seen all the AOL mail threads?  Even if its a smooth migration, mine was, your email is now different.  Different Webmail, different Spam blocker, etc.

Reported by other boards about IP changes already occurring in Texas as users are being moved to Frontier infrastructure.  Also remember in particular that Verizon is keeping all its national Internet infrastructure (backbone etc), and Frontier will probably not use it most of the time/

0 Likes
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

I don't use AOL mail so I have not paid attention to any of that. Since I have my own domain name my email, spam blocker, web server, etc. is all completely separate from my ISP. 

My biggest concern is Internet service, which is why I asked the Verizon tech about IP addresses. She said they would be the same - which suggested to me Frontier was going to take over the blocks of IP addresses that Verizon owns now, along with the server systems that provide them. But if people who get switched over are getting new/different IP's then that is a whole different story, and certainly allows for new problems and bugs to be introduced into the system. 

0 Likes
Airwolf1
Enthusiast - Level 3

@bbinnard wrote:

I don't use AOL mail so I have not paid attention to any of that. Since I have my own domain name my email, spam blocker, web server, etc. is all completely separate from my ISP. 

My biggest concern is Internet service, which is why I asked the Verizon tech about IP addresses. She said they would be the same - which suggested to me Frontier was going to take over the blocks of IP addresses that Verizon owns now, along with the server systems that provide them. But if people who get switched over are getting new/different IP's then that is a whole different story, and certainly allows for new problems and bugs to be introduced into the system. 

That was just your typical phone rep not knowing something, but saying anything just to act like they know.

IP's will be changing.

Some people in TX were already reporting issues with internet. Someone noticed Frontier tracer routes. Hopefully it was just transitioning that was causing the issues and isnt a sign of things to come.

0 Likes