Microwavw interruption
twcsr

I lose internet access and have TV interruption when I use the microwave. Wy is this happening and how can ot be fixed?

0 Likes
Re: Microwavw interruption
jonjones1
Legend

@twcsr wrote:

I lose internet access and have TV interruption when I use the microwave. Wy is this happening and how can ot be fixed?

Stop using the microwave or move it to a shielded area in your home. If you cannot move the microwave the router to a better place in the home.

i use multiple microwaves and no interference.

sometimes a new microwave also takes care of the problem.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If your router is operating on channels 5 through 11, Microwaves are known to interfere partially or competely depending on what channel you use. Typically, Channel 8 is where you will receive 100% interference, and channel 6 or 11 will receive sideband interference, which is enough to cause the connection to disconnect. You can work around this problem by setting the router to only use Channel 1 for 2.4Ghz. 5Ghz Wi-Fi can use whatever Auto decides to set / whatever works best for you, as Microwaves do not interfere in this frequency range.

Besides making sure all wireless devices are away from the microwave, which will certainly help, make sure your microwave is properly grounded, and isn't leaking too much RF energy outside of it's faraday cage design due to damage or wear. If the microwave is very old, you may have better results with a more modern one.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have TV and Internet issues, it could be your coax.

Does your cable come in from ONT near kitchen?

Start at ONT and check that all coax connections are tight.

And that you don't have any damage to your coax.

0 Likes