Might as well go with comcast gigabit plan 2gbps
Createmore4me

comcast sells a 2 gbps plan for $149 and its good for 2 yrs but I will never use the 2 gbps speed but its nice to have so why isnt verizon comparing to that plan? There gigabit speed isnt even 1 gbps so makes no sense to have verizon gigabit. Even its 400 mbps plan is only $69 

0 Likes
Re: Might as well go with comcast gigabit plan 2gbps
jonjones1
Legend

http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/comcast-begins-rollout-of-residential-2-gig-...

Read it again. It is not available everywhere. It is not asymmetrical but symmetrical big difference. And that pricing is not showing at the communication site.

but you can get service from any provider you like. 

Good Luck

0 Likes
Createmore4me

I am not talking bout where its availability other wise I would talk about ting or google fiber or even ATT gigabit but none of those are available to me other then comcast or verizon and comcast seems like they are offering better prices. Seriously 2gbps for $150 seems like a deal killer to me even thought its just like $30 more. image

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Oops I forgot the updated page.

https://www.xfinity.com/gig

And the Verizon Fios gigabyte plan starts at $69.99 in most areas. And slightly higher with tv added $74.99 and internet, tv and phone for $79.99 plus tax and fees on tv and phone (not on internet) for new customers.

0 Likes
Createmore4me

Who cares bout tv when I use sling+hulu+netflix( I know I may be paying more with those services+internet but who cares). I don't need tv service or phone plans as we all have cell phones so none of us will use a home phone. Like I said the gigabit plan from verizon isnt even 1 gbps. I know the gigabit plan from comcast isn't 2gbps but it said up to so it can go up to 2 gbps.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Then what is the point of your post. This is the Verizon Fios forum.

where I reside the 2gb plan is not available. Just as it isn't available all over and the same can be said for Verizon Fios.

so you use Netflix and Hulu and sling so who cares. I use Hulu, Netflix, DirectTVNOW, Acorn Tv and. By ditching the Charter old Time Warner I save huge money.

and most people don't even need 1 gigabyte let alone 2 gigabyte. I am not running a server nor have hundreds of connections in my network, and not a spammer who may want to send their drek into people's email accounts. I don't online gaming so what I have is fine for our use.

if you want xfinity then get it. Great deal get it, when the prices keep going up and up remember you had purchased a good deal. Everyone loves a bargain.

and you have cellular then fine don't get home phone. We don't have it either but use a voipo for phone service. At a huge savings every two years.

again if you don't want Verizon Fios, just don't get it. No one is forcing you to purchase it.

0 Likes
Createmore4me

Why are you getting so aggressive over this? Its not your problem and its not mine. I never said it was 2 gbps. Right now I have the 100 mbps and I don't think its worth it to go up to 1 gbps with fios because even with the 100 plan I have, I still have a **bleep**ty connection and verizon isn't fixing the problem but according to speedtest I am getting a little over 110 mbps download(verizon speed test and speedtest.net) Oh did you know, verizon was going to charge me $100 ever month if I didn't renew my contract from $80. So, no its not just comcast that does that. Who said I am running a server or anything. Have you read my first post? 

"but I will never use the 2 gbps speed but its nice to have so why isnt verizon comparing to that plan? "

Even a gigabit speed on google is $80 and I am getting 100 from fios. If I wanted to boost my speed up more I could, I have no trouble paying. Even att fiber is $80 and its 1 gbps https://www.att.com/internet/fiber.html to which I can't have because I don't live in an area where internet is with att. Why can't fios match up with other companies that does the same **bleep** for less or like I said comcast also has a 2 yr guarantee that its price will stay at $150 for 2 yrs just like fios so no a contract is a contract and both if not all companies have them. When I look at fios and comcast fios gigabit plan is $110 and comcast is $150 which isn't still a bad deal "FOR UP TO" 2 gbps. I don't even use the internet to much except mostly browsing and some video clips from youtube but thats it. I could cancel the contract and be done with verizon if I wanted to because mostly I am not even at home so I am actually giving money for a service that I rarely use. Oh did you know if I didn't get my own router that verizon will charge me an equipment fee also, so I had to buy the fios gateway router. Way to go "clap" "clap" 

I have verizon fios but I don't want verizon cell phone service so I have ATT phone plan with 4 people in it. Its $250 bill credit is not going to entice me one bit because I don't want a bill credit if you aren't going to lower your internet plan or cell phone plan because of a bundle. Heck comcast is even offering a mobile plan for $45 a line. https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/plan I wish verizon had some sort of plan that will lower the monthly plan for mobile if I had fios services.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Here we are it's morning.

I am not aggressive towards your post. Your first post and subsequent posts have been more of a statement of what you don't like about Verizon Fios and you then went on a tirade of xfinity 2 Gb. service. To what useful purpose is it vent if now on this last post by you the real reason you are upset is due to price? 

Verizon Fios is available in many more areas than cable or Google or any other company. Like any major corporation they charge what the area served will bear. I am not saying cable is the only service that does that.

Believe me I had cable since it first became available in my city many years ago. I paid $9 a month and the cable box was a push button device connected to the TV set box.

there was no internet. That came many years later. My internet was a first a dial up modem at I think 700 Baud with thermal paper. It was a TI brand. My first real computer made for retail sale was a Packard Bell Legend 60 Supreme for $3,000 and it came with a 14.4 baud modem sound card combo. Technology was not yet advancing as it does today. I could go on but I won't.

My cable internet was 15/1 and I can tell you with 24 or more devices running (not at the same time) it was perfect for my wife and I. We had cable with TWC as well and the price went from $60, to $80, $120, $136, $154, $186, and topped out at $240 and I said enough. We never watched that crap repeated over on multiple channel line ups. However our broadband was $34.99 no taxes and fees added in my locale. Subtract that from $240 and that means tv all by itself was $205 imagine that.

I did not take Verizon Fios originally until my neighbors used it for two years. Many dropped it after the company raised the monthly rates. My neighbors like myself are retired on pensions and social security. Verizon did not care to lose them because the price is what it is.

We use internet only. I have no contract, and my original price is $86 with some bogus Municipal Construction Surcharge and for 150/150 and it was more than we could use.

Gigabyte came out and Verizon offered it for $20 more a month for 2 years. Good deal.

It raises up to $195 after that but I will call up and haggle which most customers do when the prices raise. This is something you can do.

You could get a better rate by leaving or threatening to leave and come back as a new customer in 60 days. Some people say now Verizon doesn't even check on that status any longer.

So this is what you have to do. Call up and negotiate better pricing.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Something to keep in mind.

Comcast has been know to have data caps on their Internet.

To date, Verizon doesn't have anything published.

I have heard of people getting notices if thety use multiple terabytes.

But that was before FIOS 1G service.

May want to verify seeing as though how you seem to prefer streaming.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If Comcast works out to be better, feel free to move to them. Verizon knows that plan is rarely available to many, and will involve steep installation fees in addition to enterprise grade equipment, if you hope to achieve 2Gbps service. Comcast isn't going to supply a router to those signing up for Gigabit Pro.

... and Verizon isn't really afraid of Comcast's 1Gbps down, 50Mbps up Cable modem plan. The upload is the lame duck.

But just word of advice. Make sure to shop by the retail price. The pricing shown on the website isn't retail. It's the new customer pricing. I did the same when I purchased Cable Internet for myself a few months ago to augment the DSL. I could get 50Mbps/5Mbps, the highest cable package available to me about 6 months ago, for "only" $65/m. I purchased it knowing that in two years it would cost me $120/m. A few months ago I threw away my $65/m price to upgrade to a new $60 retail 60/5 package. Although I also recently moved to a newer 100Mbps/10Mbps plan... which came with a $200 upgrade fee, costs $105/m and isn't advertised or disclosed anywhere on the cable company's website, and is also the fastest in my neighborhood from any ISP. Now, why the company can do that, is because no one else in my area offers a 100Mbps pipe without paying $1,200/m with a 15 year contract :-). The only way to get 100Mbps is to call them and say, you want the unadvertised package, and they'll flip the switch. But one wouldn't know how to do that without the know-how. Enjoy having options. 

0 Likes