Re: Might as well go with comcast gigabit plan 2gbps
Createmore4me

But who cares about upload speed when barely any people upload. There is like a 10% of the people uploading and most 90% are receiving information so there basically downloading data. I haven't uploaded anything since I was 15. 

I know comcast offers a 1tb option now or you can pay $50 a month for unlimited data. Also read this.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/data-usage-do-i-have-unlimited-plan-if-not-in-market-with-t... 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/data-usage-find-area/

"If you are not in a market with Terabyte Internet Data Usage Plan, you do not have a data plan at this time, although we retain the right to adopt one in the future."
I am in MD and MD is not listed in the 1tb plan so of right now I do have unlimited data without paying the $50 a month. I heard the stories of comcast shutting down people also, I also know there is a installation fee 

Even there 400 mbps down is faster and offered at $70 a month for a whole year compare to what I have is $80 a month for 100 mbps. I don't care about upload speed and verizon isn't that reliable because I still have a slow connection from time to time and I told verizon about it and all they do is make me take a stupid speed test and reset my router which doesn't solve anything. I thought "FIOS" was suppose to be better. I have been a fios customer since 2013 and before that I had verizon dsl which was a slow 1 Mbps.
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Many of us care about upload due to telecommuting as well as due to the increasing number of connected items at home, and the abundance of cloud services where uploading content is actually important. People certainly use upload whether they realize it or not. An example is that some of us might use Nest Cameras. These record to an off-site location (Which is a nice benefit, as thieves are wising up to SD Cards in cameras and local DVRs). Each camera at 1080P when there's motion, might consume close to 3Mbps of upload per. Several cameras with activity taking place would consume a considerable amount of bandwidth on the upload which will chew into the download, due to ACK starvation, and also because many connections like DOCSIS are not full duplex.

Now the perception between 10Mbps upload and 50Mbps upload might be big. The same goes for the difference between 50Mbps and 500Mbps. But it's enough to give the "Premium" feel that an ISP really wants to be known for. Offering poor upload but stupid fast download is not a way to do that.

My cable company tries to sell my Cable connection as Fiber connection. Sure... if you include the Fiber cabling which is delivering RFoG to my neighborhood. It's still not symmetrical, and it still doesn't have the latency that a Fiber connection provides. Stuff that people like I tend to care for. I had to pay Spectrum a mad amount of money just to get an extra 5Mbps up, so that my routine activities (video conference meetings) on Mondays don't consume my upload for hours. The upload is still rather inadequate at 10Mbps.

Given that backbone links are symmetrical in nature, it doesn't make sense to sell asymmetric connections just because people don't use the upload as much as the download. Both are equally as important, and make a difference in performance under load when the demand is actually there. It's the same concept of why 1Gbps or 2Gbps service is nice to have but isn't needed for most people right now.

0 Likes
Createmore4me

True that cams usally uses upload but who needs higher then 10 mbps for upload. That should be enough for an hd 1080p upload. The point I am trying to get here is that verizon advertises its speed for my speed and I do get it or so I see on speedtest but I have to watch videos in 480p like I am still on DSL when 1080p or 4k is available. Webs site don't load amazingly fast either even though I have ad block on my computer. I built all my desktop in my house which is 3 and I have 2 laptops and about 3 cell phones on my network and even thought they arent all on and only one is on its like I am getting slow speed even though it shows 100 mbps and yes I am wired on my desktops and laptops(sometimes wireless if moving around room) 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I need higher than 10Mbps. I've been waiting for FiOS to show up for over a decade so I can ditch the DSL as well as the Cable connection. The 4K+ video uploads I'm doing from time to time already take several hours assuming nothing else is using the connection. That's in addition to the fact that I share this connection with three gamers (not including the fourth, who is I) who wish to stream, voice call, and game at the same time.

But I'm just a drop in the bucket customer. I'd get a Metro Ethernet connection if it didn't require that I have both an SLA, and get locked into a 25 year contract.

0 Likes