Migrating from Actionec Rev F to Rev I.....
eljefe
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm currently using a MI424-WR Rev F router and I'm getting ready to switch to a Rev I unit.   Does anyone know if I can save the configuration file from the Rev F and then open it in the new Rev I?   If the two config files are compatible it would save me a lot of time getting the new router customized for my setup.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Migrating from Actionec Rev F to Rev I.....
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The config files for the Rev. F and Rev. I are not compatible, and are encrypted to match the router they belong to, so short answer is no I'm afraid. Just take note of what settings you have changed and of any specific firewall rules, port forwarding rules, etc, and copy them into the new router manually.

For Wireless, since the Rev. I has Wireless N in it just like the Rev. F you will need to use WPA2 security, and only WPA2-AES at that, keep that in consideration.

Also, I know of a few people who might want that Rev. F. Certainly hang onto it or sell it should Verizon no longer want it back.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The config files for the Rev. F and Rev. I are not compatible, and are encrypted to match the router they belong to, so short answer is no I'm afraid. Just take note of what settings you have changed and of any specific firewall rules, port forwarding rules, etc, and copy them into the new router manually.

For Wireless, since the Rev. I has Wireless N in it just like the Rev. F you will need to use WPA2 security, and only WPA2-AES at that, keep that in consideration.

Also, I know of a few people who might want that Rev. F. Certainly hang onto it or sell it should Verizon no longer want it back.

joelw135
Enthusiast - Level 2

How do you get a revision i router I thought they only gave them out to business?

0 Likes
eljefe
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Smith6612 wrote:

Thanks.  'Tis what I suspected would be the case.   I'll just have to login to the setup page on the F and the new I at the same time and go through all the settings to make sure I have them the same.

I own the Rev F router.  Verzion gave me a Rev E model, which I still have on the shelf, and I bought the Rev F on eBay.

There really won't be much difference for me between the F and the I, I just felt like tinkering.  Smiley Happy

Thanks for the reply.

0 Likes
eljefe
Enthusiast - Level 3

@joelw135 wrote:

How do you get a revision i router I thought they only gave them out to business?

I bought the Rev I on eBay, as I did the Rev F I'm using now.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're welcome! 🙂

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@joelw135 wrote:

Rev. I is now the standard router issued to new customers.

You can also purchase it directly from VZ if you don't want to take your chances on ebay.

https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayProducts

0 Likes
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

So if I purchase my own Rev I router becuase I want to get native wireless N support what does this mean:

Purchase qualifies for replacement exchange program

Will Verizon require me to ship my current router back to them (at my expense?)  Will they give me some sort of credit for my existing router?  Will a tech come to my house to pick up the old router?

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@bbinnard wrote:

So if I purchase my own Rev I router becuase I want to get native wireless N support what does this mean:

Purchase qualifies for replacement exchange program

Will Verizon require me to ship my current router back to them (at my expense?)  Will they give me some sort of credit for my existing router?  Will a tech come to my house to pick up the old router?

I was told if you purchase the new router, you own it outright. Keep the old router, and if you ever cancel your service, and they want a router returned, you send them theirs. This way you have a backup router being the old one which is theirs. Hopefully you will never need the old router.

0 Likes