MoCA Adapters questions
Ndude

Hi and thanks for taking the time out of your day for reading/helping me with my questions. 

I want to know how a moca adapter works. I have frontier FiOs(I live in oregon). My brother upstairs has the router modem combo machine and i have wirless (which sucks). We don't have TV just Internet from FiOs. I want to know if i buy a MoCA Adapter do i also have to buy a new router to go with it. Do i buy 2 of them? Do i buy one? Are they just like having the modem/ router right next to you(in terms of connection/ speed)? Are they good for a PC gamer/ Tranfering big files? I have 35/15 internet. Sorry for all the questions.

0 Likes
Re: MoCA Adapters questions
prisaz
Legend

You would just connect it to your coax, it should work just fine.

If you have an extra Verizon router that might be handy, it too could be connected to the coax and be used as a moca adapter. This would allow you to have a local switch off of the coax, and a secondary Wifi. It may also be cheaper that the moca bridge, should you find an extra Actiontec. Avoid Rev. A-D versions.

Log into the secondary Actiontec while connected to it via one of the lan ports, change the IP address of the second router so that it is not the same as the first, and disable DHCP and WAN ports. You would have a MOCA to Ethernet Bridge, and extra Wifi access point is you should choose to leave it enabled. I have used this before to extend the network and it had work very well until I decided to wire the house for Gigabit with 150/65. Only the newer Actiontec routers have Gigabit ports.

0 Likes
Ndude

Does the jack in my room have to be activated by Frontier? I had Comcast 3 years ago. I'm not sure if they did anything. Also is there a way to do this without having 2 routers? I have only one router that verizon gave. Also do i just buy one MoCA adapter for my self and use it or do i buy two one for upstairs and one for downstairs.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

No activation needed, even though it's Frontier. If you can connect up the coaxial jack to the splitter connecting the rest of the coaxial connections in your home (basically, what is being used for the FiOS for TV / Internet), all you should need to do is connect up the adapter from that point.

As for how many adapters you need, it depends. The FiOS Router already counts as one adapter since it has MoCa built-in. So, in this case if you're only trying to get a Wired connection to your room, you buy just one adapter, and from there you can connect an Ethernet switch to the MoCa adapter to allow more than one device to use (such as an Xbox, PlayStation 3, another PC, etc). The adapter should pick up and connect to the FiOS router.

0 Likes
Ndude

Ok the coax splitter is in the closet. But how do i find the cabel to my jack in my room?

0 Likes