MoCA to Router connection issue
dBurg1

Hello,

recently moved to the new apartments with Fios Internet service.

Because of some reasons I want to use my own R7000 router.

Since I have no ethernet sockets, but coaxial only, I boutgh Actiontec MoCA 2.0 adapter ECB6000S02.

Adapter connected to the socket in the wall by the coaxial cable, ethernet connected to WAN port in the router. All lights on the Actiontec are green, but router can't obtain IP address.

I can't understand what do I missed... Best of my though were that MoCA adapter is broken, I changed, but still no result.

Called to Verizon support, they can't see any activities on the port. Verizon's router working good. My router connected as secondary to Verizon's  works good as well, but I want to have my own as primary and only.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: MoCA to Router connection issue
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

In short, what you are trying to do won't work.   MoCA is a broadband technology over Coax and can use different frequencies or channels/bands.   FiOS uses two different MoCA frequencies: 1000Mhz or C4 for MoCA WAN -- the side of the connection facing the public internet) and  1150Mhz or D1 for MoCA LAN -- the side bridged to your local LAN network.

The MoCA bridges you buy, such as the ActionTec are configured to scan the typical MoCA LAN frequencies only.     Thus, your bridge will never "find" the WAN side of the connection which is what you need to do what you propose.

The solution to this if you can't ask Verizon to give you an ethernet handoff is to utilize one of the connection setups described in the DSL reports site where you use the Verizon ActionTec router (which is capable of seeing both the WAN and LAN frequencies) essentially as a WAN bridge to which you connect your router.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@dBurg wrote:

Hello,

recently moved to the new apartments with Fios Internet service.

Because of some reasons I want to use my own R7000 router.

Since I have no ethernet sockets, but coaxial only, I boutgh Actiontec MoCA 2.0 adapter ECB6000S02.

Adapter connected to the socket in the wall by the coaxial cable, ethernet connected to WAN port in the router. All lights on the Actiontec are green, but router can't obtain IP address.

I can't understand what do I missed... Best of my though were that MoCA adapter is broken, I changed, but still no result.

Called to Verizon support, they can't see any activities on the port. Verizon's router working good. My router connected as secondary to Verizon's  works good as well, but I want to have my own as primary and only.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios?

The above link will take you to a very helpful site which can walk you through many different setups. However Netgear Support does not state that the router can work as a stand alone. http://www.netgear.com/support but try DSL Reports first.

Good Luck

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

In short, what you are trying to do won't work.   MoCA is a broadband technology over Coax and can use different frequencies or channels/bands.   FiOS uses two different MoCA frequencies: 1000Mhz or C4 for MoCA WAN -- the side of the connection facing the public internet) and  1150Mhz or D1 for MoCA LAN -- the side bridged to your local LAN network.

The MoCA bridges you buy, such as the ActionTec are configured to scan the typical MoCA LAN frequencies only.     Thus, your bridge will never "find" the WAN side of the connection which is what you need to do what you propose.

The solution to this if you can't ask Verizon to give you an ethernet handoff is to utilize one of the connection setups described in the DSL reports site where you use the Verizon ActionTec router (which is capable of seeing both the WAN and LAN frequencies) essentially as a WAN bridge to which you connect your router.

Aklein97
Enthusiast - Level 1

Do you have any links to the frequency data you quoted?  I have the Motorola 2.0 bonded adapter and Motorola claims it should be able to work bridging Verizon WAN to Ethernet.  But I’m not able to see the internet via my router (connected via Ethernet to the adapter).  Thanks.

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.