MoCa adapter instead of Quantum gateway g1100
MarkN1

Hello,

I have a Fios internet package. I originally had TV and Internet but I have cut the cord. I am using the Quantum gateway G1100 for wifi access as well as a couple ethernet ports. I have read some concerning secuirty issues with the G1100 an I'm thinking about getting rid of it. I am thinking about getting a MoCa adapter made by Motorolla, the Motorola MoCa 2.0 (MM1000). My thought was to connect coaxial to the adapter and then run a ethernet patch to my own router. My connection would look like this:

Internet --- coaxial to MM1000 --- ethernet to router --- = wifi/ethernet access

Would this setup allow me to get ride of the Quantum gateway? I know the gateway is requried when you have Fios TV, but I don't have it anymore.

I know I can have Verizon come out and run ethernet from the ONT, but I really don't want to have Verizon come out and run ethernet through the house. I will ask though, when Verizon does run ethernet from the ONT, does that mean they run ethernet cable throught the whole house, or to just one port?   

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: MoCa adapter instead of Quantum gateway g1100
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader
dong82an

It took a while to understand the solution but it looks like it will work.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You need a MoCA adapter that can run on the WAN frequencies.  It looks like the post Edg1 provided gives you a way to use an ECB6200 as a WAN adapter.

Know that MoCA WAN is limited to 100Mbps.  If you ever want to go faster, you'll need Ethernet from the ONT.  If you have Verizon do it, they may charge you and won't fish the cable through walls.  They would install a single Ethernet run from the ONT to the router's location; nothing more.  If you're reasonably handy, you can do it yourself.  You can also hire a contractor to do it; an electrician is not required.

You can contact Verizon to switch the ONT from MoCA WAN to Ethernet WAN whenever you're ready.  If the cable is already in place, they can make the switch in about five minutes for no charge.

The most common reason I hear about people switching from the G1100 is it's WiFi performance - it's good, not great.  If you care to share your security concerns with the G1100, some of us here might be able to provide you with helpful information to help you decide if should switch or not.

Good Luck.