MoCa & Ethernet ports both active?
likes2sail
Enthusiast - Level 2

We are an older customer with older router. We just updated router in able to support two Ethernet connected PCs, (old router had bad Ethernet ports). New router is now operating via ONT Ethernet port. However, after a day or so the channel guide...etc was lost. Original router remains wired to household TV's via coax. I believe MoCa port on ONT was deactivated the day after Ethernet port was activated. So our question is, can the ONT MoCa port be active for TV channel guide via coax/Verizon router, while internet is active via ONT Ethernet port?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: MoCa & Ethernet ports both active?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Oh my mistake. I thought you were using a new Verizon router. That changes things a little bit. 

You can configure your old Verizon router as a MoCA adapter by logging in and making these changes...

Login into the router at 192.168.1.1

My Network > Network Connections  > Network (Home/Office) > Settings 

Change the 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.X and scroll down and disable the DHCH Server and Apply. Make sure the IP you change to is the same as your router's subnet and not an IP that's in use already. Connect your router LAN to Verizon router LAN then reboot you STBs.

An easier method would be getting a MoCA adapter. You will take the LAN of your router and connect to the ethernet port of the adapter. Then take the coax from the old Verizon router and connect to the adapter. Reboot your boxes. Then they will have Channel Guide again. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The ethernet has to be connected to provide your WAN internet connection. But the coax still also has to be connected to provide MoCA LAN for your Channel Guide. You have to take the coax from the old router and connect it to the new one. Is the new router in the same location as the old router?

likes2sail
Enthusiast - Level 2

We are using two routers. New router is ethernet connected to ONT for internet, works fine. Original router is coax & is used for TV channel listings. Our question is if both MoCa & Ethernet ports can be used simultaneously? ONT Ethernet for internet & ONT MoCa for channel listings?

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No both ports are not active. The coax from the old router needs to connect to the new router. The old router is doing nothing. It needs to come out completely. The MoCA to make the Channel listings work is MoCA LAN. That comes from the router. Not the ONT. 

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not to get too technical, but there are two types of MoCA. The MoCA WAN connection works at 1000 MHz. This provides your connection to the internet. Your WAN connection can be ethernet or coax, but not both. 
MoCA LAN works at 1125-1175 MHz and is provided from the router. That is how the boxes get the Guide. 
Since they operate at different frequencies you can have both MoCA WAN and LAN on the same coax network. 

likes2sail
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, very helpful. We are not too tech savvy. Our thoughts were that we could keep old router wired via coax to MoCa ONT port for TV listings. ONT Ethernet port for internet wired to new router. 

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

That’s what I thought you were saying. I wasn’t sure if you were putting the new router in a different room. 
Basically the ethernet and the coax from the old router have to plug into the new router. Then the yellow LAN ethernet ports connect to your computers.

likes2sail
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for help. Someone also mentioned using a MoCa to Ethernet splitter, as our new router does not have a coax port

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Oh my mistake. I thought you were using a new Verizon router. That changes things a little bit. 

You can configure your old Verizon router as a MoCA adapter by logging in and making these changes...

Login into the router at 192.168.1.1

My Network > Network Connections  > Network (Home/Office) > Settings 

Change the 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.X and scroll down and disable the DHCH Server and Apply. Make sure the IP you change to is the same as your router's subnet and not an IP that's in use already. Connect your router LAN to Verizon router LAN then reboot you STBs.

An easier method would be getting a MoCA adapter. You will take the LAN of your router and connect to the ethernet port of the adapter. Then take the coax from the old Verizon router and connect to the adapter. Reboot your boxes. Then they will have Channel Guide again. 

likes2sail
Enthusiast - Level 2

Perfect, Thx!