MoCa issues
networkingissue
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello!  I currently have the Fios Quantum Gateway router set up, and am trying to connect another access point to our upstairs bedrooms using a MoCa adapter.   We have 1gb and triple play.  The current set up looks something like this :

Living room:

ONT >> Coax &. >> Two way splitter >> quantum router & TV box

Ethernet >> quantum router >> TV box

Bedroom:

Coax >> MoCa adaptor >> ethernet >> second AP

However, currently this set up is not working for us and I'm really now sure what to do.  The MoCa link light on the adaptor doesn't light up, and I'm not sure if it's an issue with the setup, the cables, this apartment's wiring, or what šŸ˜£

If anyone has any troubleshooting steps I can take, or if there's something obvious I'm missing, I would appreciate hearing very much!  Thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: MoCa issues
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yeah you might. The first step is you need a three port splitter instead of the two port Verizon installed. The third port would connect to the coax wall jack next to when the FiOS comes in. That coax will probably go to the basement to a splitter and on that same splitter the coax may go to your bedroom. The coax may also be running outside if you are in a second floor apartment. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

It sounds like the coax in the bedroom in part of your coax network. In the apartment is there coax wall jacks or is it just ran around the baseboards. The setup should be

ONT > coax > three way splitter

1. Quantum router

2. Set-top box

3. Coax leading to the bedroom

Basically the coax that is in the bedroom has to somehow connected to a splitter coming off the ONT. 

networkingissue
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the response!  There are coax outlets in the bedroom which I was trying to use, how would I get them connected to the ONT? Trying to do this with the adapter so we don't have to run cables

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have a white communications panel in your apartment? That's where all the coax jacks will originate from. If so you can place a cable splitter there and connect all the coax wires. 

networkingissue
Enthusiast - Level 2
I took a look around and couldn't find anything like that.   I found these in the basement, but not sure where they go/are coming from:

There's an apartment below us that could possibly have it, I asked my landlord and he said he would look into it.  I think you are definitely right in that the ONT is not connected to the house somehow.  The ethernet and coax go straight from the box outside and into my living room (literally through the wall it looks like) where the two-way splitter is:

https://imgur.com/a/Agiqxv7 (please excuse the mess haha)

I tested the other rooms in the house and none of them can make a link.   I found this mess in my room, nothing is labeled:

Thank you so much for your help!  It seems like I might just have to have a tech come look at it though
0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yeah you might. The first step is you need a three port splitter instead of the two port Verizon installed. The third port would connect to the coax wall jack next to when the FiOS comes in. That coax will probably go to the basement to a splitter and on that same splitter the coax may go to your bedroom. The coax may also be running outside if you are in a second floor apartment.