Moca help
physicschick
Enthusiast - Level 3

All, i have fios internet only 400/400 in new 3 level townhome. there are coax jacks in all rooms, i pay for verizon router. i want moca but have the following question. there is a set of coax cables with no connector ends in a ring hanging outside by my verizon box. does this mean that my coax outlets in the house aren't "active" for a moca adaptor? i see a lot about splitters, i want to know if i need to connect the outside cables together and tie them into the box somehow for moca adaptors to work. thanks for your help. 

0 Likes
Re: Moca help
physicschick
Enthusiast - Level 3

also, my router is only connected to the ethernet port, not the coax jack in my family room...is it supposed to be connected to the coax?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

First, definitely find out where are your coax cables all terminated. You need a parallel connection between all coax drops where you would like to install MoCA adapters.

Since the MoCA port of your router is not connected, you don't have TV service, right?

It is possible to connect the MoCA port on your router to a wall coax outlet and the RF signal would propagate to the outside splitter then back in to other coax outlets in the house. Just make sure you connect all the coax wires with a MoCA 2.0+ compatible splitter. You should be good to go.

physicschick
Enthusiast - Level 3

lol, i have no idea what your first sentence means. all i know is that i have coax jacks in all my rooms and there is a bundle of unconnected cables hung outside by my verizon box.

i do not have tv service but there is a coax jack in the same wall plate as my ethernet jack.

0 Likes
physicschick
Enthusiast - Level 3

i don't know how to post a picture to show what i mean about my outside cabling...

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Where are those bundles of coax cable connected to? If you do not know, can you find out?

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Above the rich text editor, there is a camera button for attaching photos.

physicschick
Enthusiast - Level 3

imagewhat are white lines for?

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Those are unterminated coax cables. You need to terminate them, at least for the ones you are using, and connect them altogether with a coax splitter. The splitter needs to be MoCA 2.0+ compatible.

The Verizon technician did them all for me five years ago. He left a bunch of short coax cables and several splitters.

physicschick
Enthusiast - Level 3

ok, so they go into one end of the splitter, then does the splitter go between them and the black cable going into the orange tube on the ground? sorry to be dense but i have no clue...

0 Likes