Re: Moca help
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK. Where does the black cable go to? Where do the white cables go to? Where does the orange tube go to?

physicschick
Enthusiast - Level 3

best i can do is say that i don't know where these things go...house/garage was completely finished when i bought it. i can say that the bound cable in the furthest tube is not connected to anything...imageimage and i am assuming the white coax end up at the various jacks in my rooms...the cable that is stapled to the garage door wall is the powerline to the battery pack that is plugged in my garage...not much to go on i know..

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok. I understand the situation now.

What you need to do is find out which white coax cables you want to use. This answer really depends on which coax wall jack in the house you want to use. 

1) Determine which wall plates in the house you want to connect MoCA adapters and G3100 (a built-in MoCA adapter).

2) Determine which white coax cables are those wall plates connected to outside the house (You need a coax tester). Terminate all the white coax cables you want to use (You can learn how to terminate coax cables. You need to buy some tools if you don't have coax clamping tools). I guess doing yourself is cheaper than hiring an electrician or call back the Verizon technician.

3) Get a weather-proof MoCA 2.0+ compatible splitter (2 way or more, mine is a 6 way) to connect all the terminated coax cable together. Ground the splitter just like your ONT is grounded with a green wire.

4) Connect MoCA adapters and G3100 to the coax wall plates. Do configuration on MoCA adapters if not buying from Verizon.

Then you are good to go.

physicschick
Enthusiast - Level 3

you are being super helpful, yes i feel i can find out which white coax i need - prob the one near my verizon router and the one in the basement. i know i can terminate the white cables outside too. after i connect them to the splitter, and also ground the splitter, so i connect the white terminated lines to the out port of the splitter, ground it, then what about the "in" line? does the splitter need to get into the verizon box? i know all this seems obvious to techy folks, but i know other types of stuff - def not this!! lol.

so - white cables outside terminated - hooked to "out" of splitter - ground splitter - then lastly ---what do i connect to the "in" of the splitter?? also,  my router is moca compatible so i assume i will hook it via coax to the coax wall jack, then need only one adapter in the basement hooked to the coax jack. this much i think i understand. thanks sooooo much for all your help - trying to get my daughter a hardwire ethernet port in the basement for ps4 which doesn't seem to like wifi...thanks

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

For MoCA, there is no "IN" or "OUT." Just imagine all ports on a splitter is parallelly connected. Do you need a link to the splitter? https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/4-way-coax-splitter/ MoCA compatible splitters on Amazon are overpriced.

G3100 is MoCA 2.5 enabled. Do you need recommendation for MoCA adapters? How many ports do you want? I recommend Actiontec/Verizon ECB5240M (FiOS Network Adapter) for $55 with 4-ports (one MoCA 2.0 splitter and two short coax cables included). Otherwise, goCoax 2.5 on Amazon cost $60 for 1 port. Avoid Actiontec/Verizon WCB/ECB62xx. They have known compatibility issue with G3100.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Adding two points:  The ONT does not need to be connected to the coax network because it is irrelevant to your issue. Please report back here once you get it to work. If you buy from Verizon, it typically takes 3-4 business days to ship from PA warehouse.

physicschick
Enthusiast - Level 3

you've been so helpful, these are the steps as i understand them:

**in Family room - fios router will be connected to ethernet jack and coax jack

**outside by the ONT my loose white coax cables will be terminated and all will be connected to a splitter(there are 4 wires and i have 4 jacks in the house

**in the basement i will connect a moca adapter to the coax jack

**i will not feed anything more into the ont box...

do i have this right? thanks so much for all your help, will likely get to this next weekend after i order the parts and the adapter...will keep you informed.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You get all correctly.

If you are only using two coax cables, Verizon's ECB5240M comes with a 2-way (1 IN 2 OUT, total of 3 ports) splitter and two 2 feet coax cables (terminated). So no need to purchase an additional splitter or coax cables.

physicschick
Enthusiast - Level 3

so i'm still questioning how the coax cable connected to my router in the family room is going to send internet signal to the basement over coax. in my head i feel all 4 coax cables outside are fed into the 4 ports in my house. if they are all connected to a splitter with no "in" feed how does the signal travel from the family room to the other ports? in your picture what is the line on the bottom right? thanks

0 Likes
physicschick
Enthusiast - Level 3

and what about that unconnected black cable coming out of the orange tube? what is that and should it go on the splitter? why doesn't there need to be something connected to the "in" port on the splitter...

0 Likes