Modem Upgrade
mkoslosk
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just received a solicitation from Verizon about a new wireless modem that increases bandwidth speeds up to 800 Mbps.  I'm very interested, but will I not be limited to 50 Mbps due to my account regardless of the modem I have?

Re: Modem Upgrade
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

You are correct that you are limited by the internet speed you are subscribed to.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

FiOS does not use modems.

Verizon has released a new router for FiOS.  It is called the "Quantum" router.  It's primary advantage over the old router is it has dual band 802.11AC WiFi.  It also has MoCA 2.0.  These features enable faster in home communication.  It has other improvements as well and more are supposed to be coming with a future firmware upgrade.

You are correct that max Internet speed is dependent on the service purchased from Verizon, not the router.

Enjoy.

Speedy13
Enthusiast - Level 3

Your wireless speed will be limited to your internet plan when connecting to the internet, however if you are connecting wirelessly to other devices on your home network such as another computer or a printer you will experience the increased speeds.