Modem/router compatibility
csweatjr

So I’m trying to purchase a replacement modem/router for my Verizon Fios service do I can stop paying the equipment rental fee. I can’t find which modem routers are compatible 

0 Likes
Re: Modem/router compatibility
jonjones1
Legend

@csweatjrwrote:

So I’m trying to purchase a replacement modem/router for my Verizon Fios service do I can stop paying the equipment rental fee. I can’t find which modem routers are compatible 

Verizon does not use MODEMS only routers.

you can buy a cheap router but I don’t recommend them.

look for a router that has beamforming antennas external not internal, a AC/A/B/G/N triband router, get one with MIMO and just remember the more features the higher the cost. My Netgear Nighthawk costs around $400 so if you are looking to save money this is not for you. I would google routers that are top rated. And look at the price difference. Remember a $10 per month rental is $120 a year or $240 for a two year contract price. A middle router will cost maybe $150 to $250 so it pays for itself in two years.

0 Likes
Re: Modem/router compatibility
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have TV service with FIOS STB, it is best to stick with a verizon router.

If you have networking experience, you can use your own plus a MCOA adapter to feed data to the STBs. I would recommend buying from FIOS as some you find on sites like eBay could be stolen. Or Frontier verisons that may not work with FIOS.

If you don't have STBs, you can buy any router you wish.

No modem required, you would just want to have Verizon move Internet service to ethernet. That would require an ethernet cable be run from ONT to location of router.

0 Likes