More flexible firewall for Verizon FIOS
Sluggo3
Enthusiast - Level 1

I currently have the G-1100 router.  It's built in firewall does not have much flexibility.  I want to configure multiple rules per user.  I'm thinking that what I need to do is to buy an external firewall and connected to the router - most likely between the router and the FIOS line so that wireless is covered as well as regular Ethernet.  Have any of you done this?  Do you have Firewall recommendations?  Is there a router upgrade that would cover this?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: More flexible firewall for Verizon FIOS
zigzag3948
Enthusiast - Level 2

Easiest solution is put whatever firewall you want behind the FIOS router (connect new firewall wan port to one of the FIOS router lan ports). Forward all ports (or whatever ports you need) on the FIOS router to this firewall. Then configure your firewall rules on the new firewall as desired.

Your STBs will be unaffected. They will still connect to the FIOS router via moca to get their guide data, etc. 

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have FIOS TV service with FIOS STBs, this could be problematic.

You would need to ensure that all the appropriate ports are open to support STB comms.

If you don't have STBs, then you can actually replace the FIOS router with any router you desire.

0 Likes
zigzag3948
Enthusiast - Level 2

Easiest solution is put whatever firewall you want behind the FIOS router (connect new firewall wan port to one of the FIOS router lan ports). Forward all ports (or whatever ports you need) on the FIOS router to this firewall. Then configure your firewall rules on the new firewall as desired.

Your STBs will be unaffected. They will still connect to the FIOS router via moca to get their guide data, etc. 

dphilips

What happens to the wireless functionality if you do this?  Which device will handle the wireless functionality the Verizon router/modem or the newly inserted firewall?

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes