More flexible firewall for Verizon FIOS

More flexible firewall for Verizon FIOS

SOLVED
Highlighted
Contributor Sluggo
Contributor
Message 1 of 3
(2,632 Views)

I currently have the G-1100 router.  It's built in firewall does not have much flexibility.  I want to configure multiple rules per user.  I'm thinking that what I need to do is to buy an external firewall and connected to the router - most likely between the router and the FIOS line so that wireless is covered as well as regular Ethernet.  Have any of you done this?  Do you have Firewall recommendations?  Is there a router upgrade that would cover this?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Message 2 of 3
(2,570 Views)

If you have FIOS TV service with FIOS STBs, this could be problematic.

You would need to ensure that all the appropriate ports are open to support STB comms.

If you don't have STBs, then you can actually replace the FIOS router with any router you desire.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
Contributor zigzag3948
Contributor
Message 3 of 3
(2,560 Views)

Easiest solution is put whatever firewall you want behind the FIOS router (connect new firewall wan port to one of the FIOS router lan ports). Forward all ports (or whatever ports you need) on the FIOS router to this firewall. Then configure your firewall rules on the new firewall as desired.

Your STBs will be unaffected. They will still connect to the FIOS router via moca to get their guide data, etc. 

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.