Move Fios Router G3100 to new location
TechHelp2020

Ok,

So we now have the new FIOS router G3100 that is located in our basement near the ONT box. We are looking to move the G3100 Router upstairs to more central location. We have Gigabit service and TV/DVR service.

Current Setup:

Basement: ONT has a coax cable from the outside, coax cable going to a 6-way splitter, and an ethernet connection going to the G3100 WAN port.

The G3100 has the coax connection connected to on of the ports on the 6-way splitter and ethernet connected to ONT.

We want to move the G3100 to the upstairs family room. We have bought 2 of the actiontec ECB6200K02 and 2 MOCA 2.0 compatible splitters. The family room does not have ethernet, but has a Coax connection that is connected to a TV. 

Questions:

1.) Is this possible?

2.) How would the adapters be setup to allow both ethernet and moca? From my understanding, we still need the moca network for the STB? Is that correct?

3.) Can we extend Ethernet and Coax using these adapters?

I will try a diagram as well to see if that helps out explaining this. I have seen many posts, but nothing on procedure to get this done?

Thanks,

0 Likes
Re: Move Fios Router G3100 to new location
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is possible but you need to follow the instructions in this post so the adapters don’t interfere with the MoCA LAN for you set-top boxes. You have to change the frequency of the adapters. The Verizon MoCA LAN works at 1150-1175 MHz and so do the third party adapters. That’s why changing the adapter’s operating frequency is required or it will interfere with the STBs. 

Bonded MoCA 2.0 with Gigabit plan and STBs 

0 Likes
TechHelp2020

Thanks for the reply!

So the MoCA adapter will carry Ethernet and the MoCA for the STBs and on-Demand to a new location where I only have coax outlet and TV?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@TechHelp2020 wrote:

Thanks for the reply!

So the MoCA adapter will carry Ethernet and the MoCA for the STBs and on-Demand to a new location where I only have coax outlet and TV?

The MoCA adapters will just be converting the ethernet from the ONT to coax then back to ethernet at the router. For example...

ONT > ethernet > MoCA adapter 1 > coax > MoCA adapter 2 > ethernet > router 

Then router itself creates the MoCA LAN for the STBs. Now that poster said it is working fine, but I always was under the assumption that connecting the ONT coax feed to the “OUT” of the splitter would cause issues. 
I would almost say left the router where it is and use one of your MoCA adapter in the family room and connect a wireless access point. But if they say it is working and you have the adapters, I would say it can’t hurt to try. 

0 Likes