Moved computer and router to new room internet is slow
acostae5
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello, I had my router and computer connected to one room in the house using a coax from the router to the ONT outside. I had to move the computer and router to another room that had an active coax going to it for fios TV, I added a splicer to the coax in the new room to give the router access to the network, while I am able to go online it is slow compared to what it used to be. Also the room i moved to has an ethernet cable but when i checked the ONT it showed that it was not on, no green light signifying that it was active. Any help would be much appreciated and thank you in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Moved computer and router to new room internet is slow
acostae5
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here is additional information you requested

What speed plan do you have?  And what speeds did you used to get and what are you getting now?

25/15 and when I tested the speed on verizon's site it showed Download - 24.67Mbps, Upload - 15.41Mbps, Latency - 10ms.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I'm thinking the signal getting to the router in the new location might not be up-to-snuff.

As a troubleshooting step, I suggest you try connecting the coax connector that was going to the TV directly to the router.  See if doing that gives you back the speeds you have in the other room.

If the speeds are back to normal, you might replace the splitter with one rated for higher frequency and lower loss, and/or replace the coax patch cord going to the router with a different piece of Cat 5/6.

0 Likes
acostae5
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok it seems you are correct the coax leading into the new room is not for internet just tv, the splicer I added is rated from 5mhz to 2.4ghz best one i could find at home depot. I guess I would have to ask verizon if they can send the signal through the ethernet cable thats also feeding into the room, or if there was a switch i could turn to send the feed to the ethernet cable instead of the the coax. Like I said in the original post the ethernet cable though connected to the ONT has no light saying that it has a signal going to it.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I never said the coax leading into the new room was just for TV.  It doesn't work that way.  If you had coax feeding your router in the old room (and with TV service, that's how it should be set up), Internet will be available in any other room where coax is run.  And if you didn't have Internet in the new room, you'd have none.  It would just be slower.

Did you try what I suggested?  Plugging the connector that used to go into the TV directly into the router?

What speed plan do you have?  And what speeds did you used to get and what are you getting now?

acostae5
Enthusiast - Level 2

My speed has been 25/10-15 something like that been that way since pretty much I had fios. The old room while had coax it did not have tv set up into it just the internet, but I figured that the coax fed both through the same line and the new room does have tv. I was wondering if that may have been causeing the issue both using the same line and I did as you suggested connecting the coax in the new room directly into the router and I still had the issue so you are right the coax in the new room may not be designed to carry the internet signal just the tv signal or at least not the signal speed my connection is using.

0 Likes
acostae5
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here is additional information you requested

25/15 and when I tested the speed on verizon's site it showed Download - 24.67Mbps, Upload - 15.41Mbps, Latency - 10ms.

0 Likes