Moving--Fios available, but building is pre-set with Comcast.
dent_alexandra
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello, 

I'm planning on moving at the end of January, and I currently am paying for Fios internet. I have paid off my Fios router and want to continue using Verizon Fios, but the apartment building I'm moving into is pre set up for Comcast internet. I checked online and Verizon says Fios is available at the address I'm moving to. I asked my building owner if I could bring my router and have Verizon installed, but they weren't sure, and I think they were nervous about underground installation. Is there anyway to find out in advance if Verizon would be able to install my connection aerially instead? Thanks! 

Alexandra

Re: Moving--Fios available, but building is pre-set with Comcast.
jonjones1
Legend

@dent_alexandra wrote:

Hello, 

I'm planning on moving at the end of January, and I currently am paying for Fios internet. I have paid off my Fios router and want to continue using Verizon Fios, but the apartment building I'm moving into is pre set up for Comcast internet. I checked online and Verizon says Fios is available at the address I'm moving to. I asked my building owner if I could bring my router and have Verizon installed, but they weren't sure, and I think they were nervous about underground installation. Is there anyway to find out in advance if Verizon would be able to install my connection aerially instead? Thanks! 

Alexandra

The problem with multiple dwelling units is most times the building has a deal with one company or another cable or Fios and that may mean one or the other will be frozen out.

i would get the owners permission in advance in writing before Verizon even agrees to any install. I don't believe they install aerial.

1-800-VERIZON call and ask.

Re: Moving--Fios available, but building is pre-set with Comcast.
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

More than likely, if other services (power, Comcast, phone) are provided underground, then FIOS will as well.

The need for poles to support service is a big issue to run aboveground services.

But all they will do is trench it in. It will still come up on the outside of the building and then be run into the building.

Does anyone in the building have FIOS service now?

Depending on the number of units, there may already be service available in the building, just needing to be hooked up to your unit.