Moving ONT box by a few inches
samgold1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

We have to move the ONT box by a few inches to accommodate a transfer switch for a generator.

I can see the screws where the battery backup is mounted and that seems easy to move.

How do I access the screws that are used to mount the ONT box itself? I can see one screw through a hole, but I cannot see any others.

Thanks

Sam

0 Likes
Re: Moving ONT box by a few inches
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The entire ONT would need to be disassembled in order to access the screws holding the ONT to the wall. If you're careful and know how they are built, you can work from reverse to move the ONT. Just be warned, the Fiber cable is very, very sensitive to dirt and scratches in the optics as well as sharp bends. Do so at your own risk, and if you do wind up having to disconnect the fiber, make sure you cap the end of it to ensure it does not get damaged. Otherwise get Verizon out to move it a few inches for you.

0 Likes
Re: Moving ONT box by a few inches
samgold1
Enthusiast - Level 1

In my case I do not need to unplug the fibre - at least at first look.

When you say disassemble the entire ONT unit, I am assuming you mean

a) Remove the ground

b) remove the plug that comes from the backup power supply

c) remove the phone lines

d) remove the coax

e) Undo screw at the right bottom

How do I lift the front part of the unit out?

Are there tabs somewhere? Like on the right near two holes...

Once I lift the front part out, I know I can get to the screws and reposition it, and reconnect all the stuff.

Both the Back up power supply and the ONT box have to be move by approx 3 inches to the right and  4 inches upward.

I have plenty of slack in all the cables.

Thanks for your help.

Sam