Moving Router to Another Floor (down to basement)
ZALS_1013
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey all. I recently had my verizon fios installed in my house. My router was placed upstairs but I decided I want to put my office in the basement instead.

My actual verizon box (the central one where the cable and internet comes from, pictured below) is pretty close to where I want to put my router in the basement.image

Can I just go to Verizon and they'll give me another internet cable to just unplug the current one and plug in a new one in the basement? The one currently in the box is going through the wall and inside and outside of the house so it's not like I can use that one.

Any advice would be appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Moving Router to Another Floor (down to basement)
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Like the other poster said you can get a MoCA adapter or order a pre-made ethernet cable in the length you need. The Verizon store probably won’t have an ethernet cable that you can purchase. 

You can also leave router where it is and run ethernet to the office. Connect a basic non-managed five port switch if you need more than one connection. 

View solution in original post

TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Like the other poster said you can get a MoCA adapter or order a pre-made ethernet cable in the length you need. The Verizon store probably won’t have an ethernet cable that you can purchase. 

You can also leave router where it is and run ethernet to the office. Connect a basic non-managed five port switch if you need more than one connection. 

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just buy an Ethernet cable online (Amazon or Monoprice or some place like that) in the length you need.  There’s nothing special about the Verizon one.  In fact, are you sure you don’t just have on laying around from any network widget you may have bought along the way?

If you also have FioS TV, you need to make sure to have a splitter there and connect that as well as you need it for the STB guide and such to work.

ZALS_1013
Enthusiast - Level 1

Oh is it just a regular ethernet wire with a protective cable on it? I thought it was possibly something different which is why it looks more like a cable wire. If that's the case then yes, I have plenty of regular ethernet wires to use.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ZALS_1013 wrote:

Oh is it just a regular ethernet wire with a protective cable on it? I thought it was possibly something different which is why it looks more like a cable wire. If that's the case then yes, I have plenty of regular ethernet wires to use.

It's a cat6 cable which is why it looks the same size as the coax. There is a plastic separator inside cable which makes alot thicker than most cat5e cables. The conductors are usually a heavier gauge too. Yes it is ok to use any network cables you have. Cat5e cables are rated up to a gig.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yep.   If we're talking about the cable coming from the ONT to the router that has standard ethernet connections on the end (not the Coax single conductor cable), then yes it's just a cat6 cable instead of cat5e.   You can by cat6 ethernet cables online too if you really want one, but a standard cat5 cable will easily handle 1gb.   

Same for the coax if you have that running to your router as well.   That's just standard RG6 used in most home installations or newer connection cables -- but even the lower grade stuff will work over short distances.