Moving from Optimum to FiOS - networking question
Pawlisko

Background:
I live in MDU in North Bergen, NJ. I had my apartment fully renovated (gutted). I have all cables hidden in the walls, both COAX and Cat6.

My network is quite extended as I have small lab for work. It looks like this

Cable Modem (my property) -> ER-Poe5 (router) -> 24 port switch -> 24 port PoE switch -> 6 WAPs (Cisco, 802.11ac, don't ask why so many - roaming between them is set and they are set to lowest power, besides design is set for non-overlapping 2.4 GHz and 5.2 GHz channels).

I am doing cord cutting right now - resigned from Phone, TV service (using OTA antenna).

I don't want Verizon router (G1100) for multiple reasons - security, advanced routing, VPN site-to-site connections, VPN pass-through, IPv6 tunnels etc.

Question:
I read that technically what I need is MoCA bridge - found this Actiontec Bonded MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax Adapter (ECB6200S02) - is is possible to use it instead of G1100?

Thanks for helping me out.

0 Likes
Re: Moving from Optimum to FiOS - networking question
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

No need for MOCA if you are not going to have Verizon TV Service with tehir STB.

You can get Internet provisioned from ONT via Ethernet and then use your own router and infrastructure.

Be prepared for customer service to press you on using their router.

Support will be limited when you use your own router, but you sound savy enough that its not an issue.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hopefully you can get a direct line to the ONT and not one of their vdsl MDU configurations.

0 Likes
Pawlisko

ONT's are installed in one place in the building (basement) and I live on the 5th floor.

I have not seen anyone with Ethernet cable here, all connections are coax.

So from the technical perspective it would not violate 330ft rule but from security perspective I don't know if coax would not be more secure (as ONT's are not physically secured). You need more knowledge to use someone elses ONT than just swap Ethernet cable.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Using one of their MDU configuration you may not get the speed you need.  Check what speed they are offering.

0 Likes
Pawlisko

They are offering 1Gbe.

I will keep you posted on Monday late evening.

What I think will happen is they will say that there needs to be new Ethernet and Coax brought to my apartment. Good side - it will be working without MoCA bridge, the bad thing is that I need to later open walls to hide cables. It is what it is.

0 Likes
Pawlisko

So... installation didn't go well.

As per 5 Verizon technicians my building is a Coax building and my max speed would be 100Mbps, or they need to drill through the window to get down with Ethernet cable from my apartment to basement but it would violate 75 feet rule, etc. I've talked to their supervisor and still no better answer.

As per them - they can use cable coax but they can't use their cable management solution. Doesn't make sense at all.

What they suggested is - have a contractor to run Cat5e cable from my apartment to basement but they were pretty sure that ONT can support only 75 feet runs not 330 as IEEE states, or run Fiber Optics.

I will think about that, especially FO but level of stupidity is high.

Need to rethink entire FiOS thing.

0 Likes