Moving router to different ethernet port
iamjosh1

I live in an apartment building.  When I got Verizon internet set up, the router was connected to a ethernet port in the closet.  However, after getting a Network Extender for the apartment, I've found that it would be much more convenient to have the router plugged into a ethernet port in the living area, so the Network Extender could be close to the window -- otherwise, I have to run the GPS device from inside the closet to the other side of the apartment.

I tried plugging the router into this ethernet port, and my devices were all able to connect to the wireless network, but not able to access the internet.

Is there anything I can do to make the router work off the port in the living room?

0 Likes
Re: Moving router to different ethernet port
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Was your router using the ethernet or coax wan port when it was located in the closet?

0 Likes
iamjosh1

Ethernet.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

You just have to put a switch in your closet or put an adapter that connects the ethernet line from where the ont is located to the living room ethernet line.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You've posted in a DSL/Dial-up forum.  Do you have DSL or FiOS?

What model of router and network extender do you have?  None of the Verizon supplied equipment has GPS, so I'm curious about what you really have.

This info will up us peers give you better advice.

Thanks.

0 Likes
iamjosh1

I know, I realised my mistake belatedly.  I have FiOS, the router is Actiontec MI424WR Rev 1.  The GPS is on a network extender I added because there it is difficult to get signal in my building.

0 Likes